Expanded polystyrene, how does it stand up outside?

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of a silly question (yes, there are silly questions) about expanded polystyrene.

I have some fairly dense polystyrene blocks and want to create some outside structures. How does the material stand up to outside conditions - weather, sunlight etc?

My project will almost certainly be covered with soil, cement, Rowland’s Mix or HyperTuffa, so won’t just be sitting in the sun. I’ll be using it as filler (almost) for embankments.

What do you all think?

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmm...... personally, I'd give it a miss.

I had some stored, out of the sunlight, for a 'rainy day' project. It becomes brittle after a while, discolours. and once broken, leaves horrible beads of off white poly all over the place.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
If you cover it with plenty of house paint it will help make it last longer but it will eventually break down and collapse outside in the elements leaving a mess to clean up. It may be OK as a filler as long as it doesn't have to support much weight because it will compress. If used as a filler under already supported banks etc. I would wrap it in builders plastic to contain it and keep water out. Make sure the builder's plastic is also covered in soil etc. as that will break down in the sun too.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ah. Thank you both. I think I’ll give it a miss!

I’ll stick with good old concrete, Rowland’s Mix or HyperTuffa.

Thanks again.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
They use expanded polystyrene under concrete floors for insulation, so if it's totally encased it should bexpect alright, but as others have said not really ideal.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Polystyrene will eventually soak up water if used outside - it then slowly disintegrates. I expect freeze/thaw is involved. If out of direct sunlight it should last a few years. I one saw a large model church made of the white stuff - looked good but no idea haw long it will last.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm strange I have a building that I made as long ago as 1990 ish. Long overdue a new roof that I was only putting on my round toit list when running trains yesterday. Used old ceiling tiles (the horrible things that used to be used to disguise shot ceilings before the advent of Artex for such jonpbs) so they would have had plent of paint on one side. Building was double laminated in places with the things and both sides coated with Exterior Quality Tile Adhesive. Still going strong today except for small places where things have gone a bit busted where a Ply Roof has been held in place with nails.image.jpegimage.jpeg

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Anyone tried the not expanded stuff? We used it as a base and for scenery for nscale be never thought about it for use outside. It is the same styrene they use to insulate houses in the north. I sourced it from hardware stores.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure what actual material you are referring to. If it's insulation I would have thought it must be expanded to some extent - otherwise it is solid styrene sheet - like brick effect sheets or similar

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think we are talking Foam Board - link is to Amazon to show examples:

Amazon

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Could well be - but that's not insulation and it is expanded (in the middle). It looks like the stuff mike uses to great effect so probably good

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
My original question was about the stuff that’s packed in boxes around frozen food (dog food in this case) that is delivered by mail or courier. Inside there is dry ice in plastic bags. It’s definitely polystyrene, rather than foam board, although it is rather more compact than the old ceiling tile stuff.

Anyway, I decided against it and sent the stuff for recycling!

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Yes, I was mistaken...the extruded is certainly what I had in mind.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
1534268257196.png

This embankment is part of Great Yarmouth's A47 western by-pass built in 1984 using huge polystyrene blocks with earth banks either side. I've watched 100 ton loads travel along it en-route to Ipswich, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth docks. It's had a few dips develop over the years but hasn't disintegrated - yet!!!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Foambords great for out door use..if painted20180629_132116.jpg