ESU Loksound L V4.0 Uncontrollable on Track!

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new locomotive and excitedly placed it on my programming track which is hooked up the ESU Lokprogrammer. I tested the initial functions with the default mapping which all appeared to work fine, and then made some minor changes to function mapping. Now the locomotive is uncontrollable or very erratic! To be specific often it will start driving but only at a very slow speed, or it will reach it's top speed step but then refuse to stop. Only turning the power off to the track saves it from driving forever. The decoder is a ESU Loksound L V4.0 (ESU 54399). Here is what I think happend: while I was programming I didn't realize I was dealing with a Loksound L, I thought I was dealing with an XL. So when I hit "write decoder data" in the Lokprogrammer, I uploaded a project file intended for the XL probably scrambling the poor L's brain. I have since tried overwriting everything with a project meant for the L, doing a decoder reset via CV 8=8, doing firmware update, and resetting decoder via lokprogrammer to no avail.

Does any one have any ideas?

Here is a link to illustrate what is going on:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If you write a single CV and read it back again, has the value of that CV changed to the value you wrote? If that works you could try resetting the decoder one CV at a time using default values for that decoder. Check which decoder it is first using visual check and reading appropriate CVs. Start with the motor controls.

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
If you write a single CV and read it back again, has the value of that CV changed to the value you wrote? If that works you could try resetting the decoder one CV at a time using default values for that decoder. Check which decoder it is first using visual check and reading appropriate CVs. Start with the motor controls.
That is a good idea, I have also been trying to force a firmware update which has worked for me in the past. However this time the firmware is already up to date so it doesn't seem to want to do a full factory reset.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Try setting CV29 to allow analog, read it back to make sure it took, and then try on DC....

Also, a long shot, but change momentum to 0 on CVs 3 and 4...

Or come to our SDGRS meeting and meet a bunch of helpful people:

notice the address in the yellow box, all are welcome...

Greg

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Try setting CV29 to allow analog, read it back to make sure it took, and then try on DC....

Also, a long shot, but change momentum to 0 on CVs 3 and 4...

Or come to our SDGRS meeting and meet a bunch of helpful people:

notice the address in the yellow box, all are welcome...

Greg
Unfortunately i'm on duty today but I will keep an eye out for next months meeting! I often work on weekends.

Last edited:

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 10 amp NCE pro cab system, is it possible that it fried the decoder as generally the Loksound L is meant more for 0 scale?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You need to give me a call, and we can talk, I'm in Carlsbad... email me and I will send you my phone number.. can answer your questions and get you going a lot faster.

Basically the system does not blow out your decoder, only shorts and overloads could hurt the decoder.

Greg@elmassian.com

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like something went awry in the back EMF settings. You mention that you have a lokprogrammer. Go to motor settings. Scroll down to preset motor types and choose the generic Buhler motor setting. Now things should be back to normal or at least much better.

Loading a XL file onto a L will have zero effect on its characteristics. It automatically rewrites it to a L version.

Also, make sure when you check your back EMF that under the slow speed setting, your regulation influence is at 100%. Otherwise very funny things happen.

Hope this helps

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
We talked on the phone, and it might be that his attempts at reset did not take... so we discussed several techniques, since his NCE system can do register, paged, and direct modes.

A full reset will put the BEMF stuff back into reality, I believe.

Greg

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
It wont reset that. Its volatile functions. If he had written CV's it will stay at the value he put in.

He mentioned he had a lokprogrammer. If he does not come right, try the Buehler settings. I never had a loco not performing on those settings.

If all else fails, reload the file.

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I have reloaded the fire several times with no results, I have been at work for the past few days but I will do some trouble shooting tomorrow and let you all know what works!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Riekus: Can you explain further, "Its volatile functions"?

So the CV8 = 8 does not reset the CVs in the decoder? Or it just does not reset the BEMF CV's?

The esu loksound manual I am reading says that setting CV 8 = 8 resets Cs to factory default values.

I have found countless pages that say the same thing.

Greg

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Riekus: Can you explain further, "Its volatile functions"?

So the CV8 = 8 does not reset the CVs in the decoder? Or it just does not reset the BEMF CV's?

The esu loksound manual I am reading says that setting CV 8 = 8 resets Cs to factory default values.

I have found countless pages that say the same thing.

Greg
It does not reset written CVs, trust me. I always keep a printed out CV list of default values nearby. If I get a botched decoder, i check back. But hell....that takes time.

However, if you load a completely new file, it will rewrite the CVs to the values on the new file.

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
I have reloaded the fire several times with no results, I have been at work for the past few days but I will do some trouble shooting tomorrow and let you all know what works!
Did you save the file after you have written it?

If so, you are just reloading the problem time after time.

I always tell my guys to not touch the file i have sent them. You load the file from the website or from my email onto the decoder. Make sure it runs and that the sound is in there. Close the lokprogrammer. Open it up again and read the decoder. Then play to your heart's content. You will not be able to go into the sound map, but very few guys play around there in any case.

That way if something goes wrong, you can always start again.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, this sounds a lot like Massoth, where to be sure you re-write all CV's.... (what a pain).

"load a completely new file" I assume means firmware update file?

Thanks for coming back, so if you know, what does re CV8 = 8 actually reset?

Thanks, Greg

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
It does not reset written CVs, trust me. I always keep a printed out CV list of default values nearby. If I get a botched decoder, i check back. But hell....that takes time.

However, if you load a completely new file, it will rewrite the CVs to the values on the new file.
Oh yes Greg, sorry man. Everything to do with motor control, i call volatile settings. This includes acc and brake delays and speed curves. Start up voltage as well.

Non volatile settings include all the aux outputs and functions. Those reset easily.

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, this sounds a lot like Massoth, where to be sure you re-write all CV's.... (what a pain).

"load a completely new file" I assume means firmware update file?

Thanks for coming back, so if you know, what does re CV8 = 8 actually reset?

Thanks, Greg
Oh and you are right. If somebody resets my decoder that has no resistors on the LED......it will be the momentary bright death blink. I always makes the "poof" sound myself followed by lots of harsh words hehehe

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, now explained I understand, but of course volatile means "easily changed" in my country, so in a way your definition is backwards to my normal understanding.

So, motor control settings unaffected by CV8 = 8 "reset".

Function key mapping and function output are reset with CV8=8.

Is that correct?

Greg

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, now explained I understand, but of course volatile means "easily changed" in my country, so in a way your definition is backwards to my normal understanding.

So, motor control settings unaffected by CV8 = 8 "reset".

Function key mapping and function output are reset with CV8=8.

Is that correct?

Greg
Thats it.

Over here volatile means dangerous. I called it that because they are so rigid and not correctable by going back to default.

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Oh and by new file i mean from the ESU website. Something untampered with.