Erm... is really the way to steam a new loco for the first time?

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I hope the guy who made this vid is not a member of this forum :eek::

This can't be the way to run a brand new loco in, is it? Why the full speed in reverse? Watch for the part were he's opened the steam valve so wide that it blows off!

Any help in how I should be running my new loco in, would be gratefully received :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98J2CeD8-h4

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
aye capn -im giving er all shes got

theres nothing wrong with putting it on blocks and letting it run -but not at light speed-
and its more fun on the rails

and now that youve got a caradoc-just lube, water, steam oil and light er up-and have fun-its really that simple-dont cover the stack with a cloth-(but you knew that)  -be patient and keep at it

key rule dont run it dry-boiler or steam oil-dont leave it running and unattended

-and if you do use up too much water 

-let it cool before adding water-or you can damage not only the boiler but your face with blow back

run it at a moderate to slow speed-have a towel or cotton or leather gloves handy if you need to grab it and its hot

lube all the wheels and moving points, check and snug tighten all of the the screws

off you go then

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
No, it isn't.

First, an obvious safety note : keep yer head out of the way and don't unscrew yer throttle and don't stuff a rag down the chimney.

I found that I needed to run my Accucraft loco six or seven times to run it in. You will get hot oily water all over the place to start with, so a cloth is a good idea, but not down the chimney. You'll probably find it all very frustrating to start with - follow the instructions, persevere, take pictures & ask questions.

Finally, the best place for an engine is on the track with a load behind it, so I'll take that as an excuse for a gratuitous bit of video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ELCLXmgr0

Oh yes - and take Stevedenvers advice !

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
what a nice vid-and you have 5 rugen coaches -oh my!

rc IS nice on the franks s, isnt it-

added it to mine and i bite my fingernails much less

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
What a plonker! that's all I can say!!

Oh! that Frank S is loverly! but now the wife is leaving me theres a good chance I shall find one in my collection soon!!!! Am I bad????????

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Not at all Paul- seems a fair deal to me...

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Steam train goes warp factor 6.

Just pleased it wasn't mine

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
What a plonker! that's all I can say!!

Oh! that Frank S is loverly! but now the wife is leaving me theres a good chance I shall find one in my collection soon!!!! Am I bad????????

hang on, i ll go and check............
no, single:rofl:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
wow paul im sorry to hear this-always stressful

i understood you were moving but didnt know about this

hang in there

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I got notification that it should be here by tomorrow.

I won't be able to sleep because of the excitment. Just like Christmas Eve when I was a kid! :rofl: