Epl supplementary switch

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have eight supplementary switches which clip onto the end of the LGB point motors. Non of them are more than five years old. This year two have failed which is disappointing. Has anyone else had a problem with these? I wouldn't mind if they were five pounds each but at over twenty pounds a go I would expect better. Having taken one apart the components inside must cost less than £1

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yes.
The ones that I've known to fail are on on the fairly large layouts of mates who run mostly U.S. outline stuff. I strongly suspect they've exceeded the switches' current rating.
At some time LGB re-engineered these, the later ones are smaller and contain a pair of microswitches rated at 2A 30V DC. This is not nearly enough IMHO to handle traction current for a reasonable length train with lit coaches or cope with the odd derailment. The 125V AC rating is 3A and I can't remember any failures on switches used with point motors.
However LGB's design is, IMHO, convenient, fits easily and has a positive mechanical action so I recommend the following tried and tested remedy.
Purchase a few of each RS components code 706-4206 and 706-4212 switches. These are direct replacements with one of each inside each LGB switch. You might as well get a few as RS will probably have a minimum order charge, but still cheaper than one LGB switch. Then only use the repaired switches on their own as part of a point or similar control system. For traction current use them to switch the coils of automotive or similar cheap, easily available, relays with a switching capacity equal or greater than your track power supply.
I've explored the possibility of using other microswitches but I've not found any of an adequate rating, most are far less than the ones used.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil, I take it those RS microswitches have right-angled pins hence the need for LH and RH versions? (the piccie on RH web site shows straight pins) I must make a note of those for the future as direct replacements.

I've just repaired a second-hand type 2 supp. switch using 2x Maplin GW67X as they were on the shelf in my handy local store. Same sort of rating (3A 125VAC) but short straight pins, fortunately not a big deal to bend and solder to the stubs of the originals. The levers were ever so slightly too long, needed half a mm filing off.

Must admit I only use my supplementary switches for frog polarity so they don't need to handle high current for long, I don't wire them to carry traction current load to the trackwork beyond the point.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Hi Neil, I take it those RS microswitches have right-angled pins hence the need for LH and RH versions? (the piccie on RH web site shows straight pins)
Hi Nick, yes you're correct the pins are right angled.
The image on RS' site is "representative of range only".

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
I've never had a problem with them (I have 4 of them). However, I also only use them for polarity switching.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I have just had one fail after three years. Its switching a section of track from DCC to DC whilst an engine is running through it, so maybe I had too high an expectation. Anyhoo, its a lunchtime trip to Maplins tomorrow, so thanks for the advice.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
David, don't forget the Maplin ones I used aren't a direct replacement unlike the ones Neil suggests from RS. However they are the correct form factor. I retained the pins of the original microswitches in the pcb and soldered to them.

Also don't forget you'll probably want some M1 screws and nuts to secure the new switch to the PCB, not just rely on the soldered pins.

53b996e3424a4142bae19984ea1b3110.jpg

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I try not to actually switch any load with my epls. Although a couple do switch traction current there is never any stock moving (especially in that section), and this avoids the damaging spark on the contacts as the current breaks down. The ones that do switch a 'live' voltage only power relays for signalling. It may also be a good idea to stop some water ingress, I do this with anything at hand, like some roof tiles that are removed before running and placed back after. I'm after getting some roof felt that can just be left in place. The microswitches used are in no way waterproof, and even damp in the air will collect, which doesn't help with the switching.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
The microswitches used are in no way waterproof, and even damp in the air will collect, which doesn't help with the switching.
Good point (no pun intended!) Although I do seal the screw holes etc. with silicone I accept it's not watertight. Fortunately as my track sits around 3-4" off the ground on wooden framework, nothing ever gets to sit in a puddle.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Rolls-Royce used to use the exact same micro switch in the electric gear change box, but they were water proof having little rubber boots on the switch plunger and sealed wire ingress to the switch. May be worth looking for a similar switch?

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil . Thanks for the information. You are a gentleman and a technical wizard. I have ordered a replacement unit from Dragon and will order some switches from Rapid with the next club order. Then I will have a spare ready for when the next one goes.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
Rolls-Royce used to use the exact same micro switch in the electric gear change box, but they were water proof having little rubber boots on the switch plunger and sealed wire ingress to the switch. May be worth looking for a similar switch?
That's why they're so expensive, imagine how many Rollies lgb had do destroy to get the microswitches from them :rofl: :rofl:

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have several EPL switches on my points over the past year i have had 3 go wrong :wits: seems to be the small gray plastic switch has got stuck in and won't spring back haven't replaced them due to the price :thumbdown:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Richie - when I get some components and if I succesfully fix mine maybe I can help with yours.

Based on previous notes I wonder if running double headed USAT locos on 35 car trains is not a good mix with these switches? Or running a pair of USAT PA1s?

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Chris M said:
Richie - when I get some components and if I succesfully fix mine maybe I can help with yours.

Based on previous notes I wonder if running double headed USAT locos on 35 car trains is not a good mix with these switches? Or running a pair of USAT PA1s?
Hi Chris
After reading all the posting i thought the same as i'm drawing up to 8amps with four loco's smoke and lights . Most of my EPL switches are now on the old line at the top of the garden which seem ok ,it's the two on the main line i have had problems with i may take them out altogether here as the points are hardly used .

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Just a quick add to this thread. Check the solder joints on the underside of the pcb before condemning the microswitches. I obtained a couple of these epl switches from another member, with the understanding that one wasn't working, as I'm re-wiring my loops. Once apart it was clear that water ingress had 'rotted' the solder, so with a quick clean, a touch of flux and some fresh solder everything is working fine again. I'm not using them to switch track currents though, they will operate 12v 10A power relays, which are about a fiver from Maplin.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The EPL microswitches are only rated at 3 amps. I have several outdoors powering frog polarity and powering isolated track sections. To date no problem. Even the occasionbal backdriving a switched frog with reverse polarity will only blow my fuses (5 amps). These are expensive switch packs and should be treated with care.

I would use the switch pack to power a relay (to carry main track current) if exceeding more than the rated 3 amps.