Emily and her coaches have a day out!

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
There were one or two of this design in the early years - locos with the large driving wheels were sometimes referred to as 'spinners'.

As well as the GN Stirling single, I am aware that the Midland Railway had a single design, as did the Caledonian Railway.

We also need to remember the basic differences in locomotive design and development in the UK vs USA. In the UK, each railway company would have its Chief Mechanical Engineer who was responsible for the design of locomotives, and while they might 'borrow' design concepts, the locos would be individual to each railway company.

In the USA, locomotives were designed and built by independent companies, often with the result that locos would be 'catalogue' locos, with the same design, or adapted design, being used by different railroads.

So, the three spinners would have been designed by three different engineers.

I think the GW broad gauge may have had something similar in concept :think::think::think:
Wondering what the advantage to the single driver was, and reason for size, seems it would be a rather pulse producing engine ( like surging) and was wondering if that was reflected to the coaches?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Wondering what the advantage to the single driver was, and reason for size, seems it would be a rather pulse producing engine ( like surging) and was wondering if that was reflected to the coaches?
I don't know, but it was a development from the early designs where one driving wheel was common - coupled wheels seem to have been a later development (in terms of successful locomotive designs).

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
The larger diameter wheel will have a larger contact patch, perhaps it was thought to have greater adhesion?

Greg
. Very well could be but it looks like something that the guy that drew the cartoons called birdwater and raspberry for garden railways magazine would have come up
With

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The larger diameter wheel will have a larger contact patch, perhaps it was thought to have greater adhesion?

Greg
I think it was the quest for speed .............................. :devil::devil::devil: but again, this was the machine in its infancy, and these were pioneers :clap::clap::clap:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Speed woud be one advantage, one turn of a large wheel can take you much further than one turn of a smaller wheel. There is also the advantage of less wear on the wheels, despite advances in tyre technology, my C reg VW Beetle is still one of the most economical cars I've owned as regards tyres because of its 15 inch wheels.

Lastly, larger driving wheels mean lower piston speeds and wear.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Speed woud be one advantage, one turn of a large wheel can take you much further than one turn of a smaller wheel. There is also the advantage of less wear on the wheels, despite advances in tyre technology, my C reg VW Beetle is still one of the most economical cars I've owned as regards tyres because of its 15 inch wheels.

Lastly, larger driving wheels mean lower piston speeds and wear.
Single wheelers go back to the earliest days of passenger locos
Yes speed was a major component in the design process (bothMPH and cylinder/stroke speed) as was matters like axle baring faces as well as variable quality lubricants
Small wheels need to rotate at higher speed therefore if used at high speed and need more lubrication etc
British Railways track was often laid to a relatively high standard so some of the reasons for early adoption of 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s in the USA just didn't come up in the U.K.
Patrick Stirling (the Stirling Singles designer) even discounted a 4-4-0 version of the single in 1871 in favour of a slightly longer boiler/firebox version of the very earliest 8' singles
Even when 4-4-0s began to predominate uk express passenger loco construction in the 1880/90s some companies reverted to singles

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 0

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have watched threads and admired the results of various mods to Emily over the last 4yrs always intending to purchase one to do something similar. I find myself suddenly catapulted into action because I have just learned that Bachmann have ceased production of the TTE range.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
And here's a single wheeler in action - just listen to that sound!

and another, a mix of stills and video

and a tribute to the Stirling single and Emily

Reactions: 1 user

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
I have watched threads and admired the results of various mods to Emily over the last 4yrs always intending to purchase one to do something similar. I find myself suddenly catapulted into action because I have just learned that Bachmann have ceased production of the TTE range.
Really, Keith? I know there's been talk of such a move in our forum, but I hadn't heard anything official.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Really, Keith? I know there's been talk of such a move in our forum, but I hadn't heard anything official.
According to one of the retailers.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I realise that there have been posts about this in the past but I remain confused about ( amongst many other things! :-( ) which is the correct colour for the coaches pulled by the Stirling Single. Green or teak, 4 wheel, 6 wheel or bogey?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I realise that there have been posts about this in the past but I remain confused about ( amongst many other things! :-( ) which is the correct colour for the coaches pulled by the Stirling Single. Green or teak, 4 wheel, 6 wheel or bogey?
I think the problem is that no one can give a definate answer! Possibly because there ISN'T a definately answer!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think the problem is that no one can give a definate answer! Possibly because there ISN'T a definately answer!
Oh there is - there are plenty of black and white photos :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Reactions: 1 users

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
After digging further I think the general view is that in their “glory days” they would probably have pulled 6 wheeled non-clerestorey teak coaches with curved sides to the roof. In later years almost anything seemed to do!
If I can find Emily, Clarabel or Annie coaches I can respray them but I will struggle to reroof them. An even bigger problem appears to be finding any at a reasonable price. In fact, only Hattons seem to have any in stock and the prices are quite steep.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Just skimming through some of my railway bookshelf there are a number of photographs of Stirling singles hauling clerestory stock, mostly very heavy looking 12 wheelers. Maybe a case for a cut and shut job using Bachmann TTE coaches with bogies from who knows where? As to livery, who can tell?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just skimming through some of my railway bookshelf there are a number of photographs of Stirling singles hauling clerestory stock, mostly very heavy looking 12 wheelers. Maybe a case for a cut and shut job using Bachmann TTE coaches with bogies from who knows where? As to livery, who can tell?
We think - this was on another thread - that those are West Coast Joint Stock in teak :think::think::think: