Eliminating ugly backgrounds

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My preference is to keep it natural and use depth of field to hide background (so it is out of focus).

The smaller the aperture the greater the depth of field so perhaps try taking some shots wide open perhaps adjusting the light levels with a scrim or tarp over the set with some additional lighting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field
Thanks
I've ordered some camouflage netting to reduce the impact of unwanted backgrounds. I'm not sure if I can adjust the aperture on my little compact camera, but will give it a try.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks
I've ordered some camouflage netting to reduce the impact of unwanted backgrounds. I'm not sure if I can adjust the aperture on my little compact camera, but will give it a try.

Rik

Its getting harder and harder with all the automatic, i-thingies these days but still can't get past good old physics.... Here's an example, photo of a photo so quality not great but see what I mean. Add some smoke and you can end up with some very realistic images and entirely lose the background.

View media item 3168

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks

Rik
Just been looking through a BnQ Catalogue, there are varying products that emulate a hedge, somewhat plasticy but may work for you being something that can be attached to a Shed or to a couple of posts. This link is just another found at random.

https://www.artificialplants.co.uk/...l-leaf-fern-50cm-x-50cm-plate/?v=79cba1185463

Otheres can be cheeper such as Ivy effect etc.

Joe Zullo

Registered
17 Jan 2018
Saint Johns FL
Best answers
Country flag
Do you think it's worth the effort, or should I just live with what Mother Nature has provided in my garden?

Rik
I for one really like your blue screen approach. Good work!
thumbs-up.png

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
You know, until I read this post, it never even occurred to me to try to eliminate 'natural' garden elements from my garden railway photos. They are just a part of the garden. They also show people who have not actually seen my railway in the flesh that it REALLY is in the garden. Still, if you don't want that sort of effect, then I guess you need to block things out and the approach you have taken looks quite effective. I guess it also has the advantage of being able to create different scenery whenever you want to.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You might have to watch-out for snipers though, Rik!
:eek::giggle::giggle:

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Resurrecting an old thread. I was just experimenting in photoshop elements with a method I had not tried before. I applied a graduated fog filter to the background. This does not eliminate the fence in the background but reduces the visual impact. A bit fiddly to do but I like the effect.IMGP0623-(2)small.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Resurrecting an old thread. I was just experimenting in photoshop elements with a method I had not tried before. I applied a graduated fog filter to the background. This does not eliminate the fence in the background but reduces the visual impact. A bit fiddly to do but I like the effect.View attachment 245355
Nice effect and that appears to be one rather nicely upgraded Stainz or is it something else other than LGB? Detail would be nice. Sorry if I have offended a very expensive alternative.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Nice effect and that appears to be one rather nicely upgraded Stainz or is it something else other than LGB? Detail would be nice. Sorry if I have offended a very expensive alternative.
It's an Aster model of a Krauss locomotive, Jon. Gas fired live steam. The valve gear is very fine and interesting to watch. However it is something of a greyhound. If it was as controllable as a Stainz it would be a winner.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Using green or blue screen digital imaging, in post production, is a great way to get rid of an unwanted background when taking photos.

I have meddled with obscuring a background permanently (an ugly fence right behind the layout at this point).

I used a photo that I then enlarged to print on vinyl (at a sign makers) at 8ft x 6ft.
The only problem is that it is not completely matt and therefore when you are photographing at some angles at model level there can be some reflections if the background is not completely flat...these can be seen in some of the photos.

Here are some shots of the two incarnations of the township 'Arrowhead' when it was a lumber town and then as it is now..a coal mining town.....same background

1 arrow head fire dept positioning.jpg

2 arrowhead lumber gantry 1.jpg

arrowhead 4.jpgarrowhead makeover  from front low 2.jpgarrowhead makeover  from right vantage point 2.jpg

arrowhead makeover  from front 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users