Electrical connector in Thomas sets

TerrySoham

Registered
20 Jan 2010
Best answers
Hi

Has anyone else had problems with the poorly designed electrical track connector supplied with the Thomas sets? My grandson only has to touch it and Thomas stops. Shame on Bachmann's designers for spoiling the "ship for a ha'porth of tar". Before I make my own modifications, has anyone else already done it and care to share their knowledge?

Terry

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Terry,

Yes I agree that the connector on the track power clip is easy to knock out. My children have had occasions when everything just stopped, and the connector was the problem. I haven't attempted a fix.

I presume the connector is a standard Bachmann product developed a long time before Thomas and Percy came along. I assume that their other sets use this connector and for that reason they wouldn't want change it.

Overall I was actually quite impressed with Thomas + Percy + Waggons.

For the price they seem excellent value for money, and I thought that the quality was quite good. I have never bought anything made by Bachmann before. I'm hoping that the long term reliability holds up and it doesn't wear out too quickly, I guess we won't know that for a while.

I hope you have success in fixing the track connector.

TerrySoham

Registered
20 Jan 2010
Best answers
I have now removed the "electrical plug" - the one with the red wires coming out of it - which fits between the controller and the track connector and soldered the red wires directly to the printed circuit board inside the connector. To do this you have to prise open the two plastic parts of the track connector.

So far this has done the trick.

I shall be selling the remedy to Backmann!!!!

Terry