Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Right then a rough track diagram...

P1030903.JPG

...now the names of the various parts have been laid out in today's daily chat, post number 10.

Now there is a saying that a map is out of date the moment the surveyor departs the site. Well that is very much the case here, as I have reinstated the curved point and connected up to the headshunt...

P1030905.JPG

So Collins Junction, could be renamed Collins/As you were Junction.

Now all I have to figure out is the return springing of point settings to force the trains to take the pass on the left routes, and fit the only two motors I need to install.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, that is some track scheme. It's giving me food for thought. My retirement plan is to rebuild my railway as best I can in a very small space, so your use of loops and fly overs is inspiring

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Today has seen the setting up of the chord point motors. The plan was to use either the single channel point decoder or a pair of Evo-S motors to switch to the chord and revert back to the main line after a set time, about a min..

The single channel decoder has been a bit hit and miss, in the will it work or won't it, and it has now totally failed, but not before I installed it, so out it came and in with the Evo-S.
These are the only points on the railway which can not be trailed through as I have set the Evo-S to lock in either position.

P1030906.JPGP1030908.JPG

Now as i want trains to pass on the left when running through the passing loops, I needed a method of passive point return when pushed through. The two manual switches in the above photo works on that point, but for the rest I have tried another method involving mangling some of Swmbo's safety pins. The next photos will explain it better than words.

P1030909.JPGP1030910.JPGP1030911.JPGP1030912.JPGP1030913.JPGP1030914.JPGP1030915.JPGP1030917.JPG

Done, liberating five point motors in the process, not sure how they will hold up, but the lightest rolling stock rolls (trails) through and they re set afterwards.
Not sure if I have copied an idea used by someone else, but they are cheap, require the min of tools and effort, can be accessed and adjusted with ease.
Don't know how they will stand the test of time, but they are easy to replace.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Today has seen the setting up of the chord point motors. The plan was to use either the single channel point decoder or a pair of Evo-S motors to switch to the chord and revert back to the main line after a set time, about a min..

The single channel decoder has been a bit hit and miss, in the will it work or won't it, and it has now totally failed, but not before I installed it, so out it came and in with the Evo-S.
These are the only points on the railway which can not be trailed through as I have set the Evo-S to lock in either position.

View attachment 325205View attachment 325206

Now as i want trains to pass on the left when running through the passing loops, I needed a method of passive point return when pushed through. The two manual switches in the above photo works on that point, but for the rest I have tried another method involving mangling some of Swmbo's safety pins. The next photos will explain it better than words.

View attachment 325207View attachment 325208View attachment 325209View attachment 325210View attachment 325211View attachment 325212View attachment 325213View attachment 325215

Done, liberating five point motors in the process, not sure how they will hold up, but the lightest rolling stock rolls (trails) through and they re set afterwards.
Not sure if I have copied an idea used by someone else, but they are cheap, require the min of tools and effort, can be accessed and adjusted with ease.
Don't know how they will stand the test of time, but they are easy to replace.
Very clever Gordon, a light coat of grease may save them from rusting though I think they may be stainless?

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The safety pin springs have been greased, and tweaked in places and today has seen the first train of the year...

P1030921.JPG

...track inspection/rail cleaning/fishplate screw tightening overkill unit...

P1030920.JPG

...take care not to run over the wildlife. Daft thought, do male Ladybirds suffer from an identity complex?...

P1030922.JPG

...something smaller was also run.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hm tricky question about the lady bird in our current society. But a very good point, see I introduced a railway term there.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hm tricky question about the lady bird in our current society. But a very good point, see I introduced a railway term there.
Ladybird, that could give them something to discuss at the next antisexism meeting

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Ladybird, that could give them something to discuss at the next antisexism meeting
It certainly gives a fresh meaning to non-binary :giggle::giggle:

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looks as if I may need to re visit my return point springing idea, as some of the lighter wagons don't have the weight to overcome the spring and thus derail.

I may need to try a thinner (Safety Pin) wire, or find and alternative. But whilst I ponder this, I have decided to add some extra weight to the wheels using washers on the inner side a la...

P1030924.JPG

...so whilst the wheels were done, must do some testing...

P1030927.JPG

P1030934.JPG

...decided to do some work on a point decoder setting connecting it to the prog track, but I could not get it read the decoder read, so had to POM instead. I just could not figure out what I was doing wrong, only to discover the reason when I came to pack things up. Unplugging the central station reveled a snapped wire on the track/prog track plug, one of the programming track feeds, no the wonder I could not read the decoder.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like you may need to go for my solution for self return points, I use thin springy wire soldered to a brass screw. The wire similar to that used for 00 point control, you may need to test on lengths but 2-3 inches worked perfect on the Ruschbahn.