eBay Auction: Aristo Snow Plow

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
I'd never given snow plows a thought before, really. But it occurs to me now that I may want one. I found this on eBay and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or similar models. Since I'm running dead rail I'd run a loco behind it and perhaps just rewire to power the light with the battery hidden by a load in the car. Thoughts?

Aristocraft 1/G Ga PRR SNOW PLOW GON Lighted Metal Wheels ART-46706 VG+Deal! | eBay

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
John,

I bought mine a few years ago: Ballbearings, heavy chassis, adjustable clearance plow-railhead. I paid ca. 160 €, and I'm happy with it. And it looks good even on sidings, idle, in the summertime!
You should check your layout to avoid that platforms get a "shave" due to the wide plow pointing outwards in curves...

Andreas

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
On it's own it is not heavy enough to shift snow. I filled mine with concrete to prevent it lifting up when it hit snow. The blade also needed attention as it fouled the point motors.plough2 (Medium).jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mine is an old B/H tender,some slight modification and laminated plasticard,cost a tenner,when in use fills with stones,works a treat,for light snowfall,either plow fitted Otto or LGB Alco does the trick.PLOW 002.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, if we're talking plows - this one's brass ;);)

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
Perhaps I'll custom build something... I'm not looking to pay $150 right now...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps I'll custom build something... I'm not looking to pay $150 right now...
A simple wedge like Rhino’s made from Plasticard will work just as well as any other. But make it strong, probably best dedicated to a Van or Open Wagon with a good Brick inside as a weight.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A simple wedge like Rhino’s made from Plasticard will work just as well as any other. But make it strong, probably best dedicated to a Van or Open Wagon with a good Brick inside as a weight.
your right Jon, the basis for my plow is a simple wedge, and it was a standard G Scale Mad design - pretty certain it was drawn up by Gareth (3 valve) of this parish.

I originally proportionally enlarged his original design, but lately added the wings to clear a path wide enough for Fn3 stock

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My wedge plough is a resin Sweet Sixteen one, bolted onto an LGB van. Extra weight has been added to compensate for the weighty bit at the front. It's usually pushed or pulled by a Shoema, and LGB Snow Plough Loco.

It has yet to be used in anger though....

2018-06-18 11.03.20.jpg

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
My wedge plough is a resin Sweet Sixteen one, bolted onto an LGB van. Extra weight has been added to compensate for the weighty bit at the front. It's usually pushed or pulled by a Shoema, and LGB Snow Plough Loco.

It has yet to be used in anger though....

View attachment 245216

I'd second that:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Not meant to rain on the children's' parade...
Way back in the 80's, we played around with this snow ploughing game, but soon tired of it, after freezing our extremities, and realizing that snow is not commonly the correct scale for Large Scale railroading. With snow, and freezing temperatures, commonly found in Eastern Ontario, Canada; switches won't throw, and more damage can be done to equipment than is worth the efforts.
Yes it is a novelty, and most children enjoy the challenge, but soon tire of it, and settle in by the warm hearth, hot toddy in hand.
Building a snow plough can be a good project, and some may consider spending big money on something with relative use, other than being "Moveable scenery", worthwhile...as long as you are having fun....GO For It....!!
Fred Mills

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not meant to rain on the children's' parade...
Way back in the 80's, we played around with this snow ploughing game, but soon tired of it, after freezing our extremities, and realizing that snow is not commonly the correct scale for Large Scale railroading. With snow, and freezing temperatures, commonly found in Eastern Ontario, Canada; switches won't throw, and more damage can be done to equipment than is worth the efforts.
Yes it is a novelty, and most children enjoy the challenge, but soon tire of it, and settle in by the warm hearth, hot toddy in hand.
Building a snow plough can be a good project, and some may consider spending big money on something with relative use, other than being "Moveable scenery", worthwhile...as long as you are having fun....GO For It....!!
Fred Mills
Yep, that's OK for those who see the white stuff every year, and get bored with it when it turns grey, but it's snow that is the novelty here in the UK, so playing in the snow is still a rare excitement for many of us children >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

You gotta remember that a few years ago, Heathrow airport were caught out when it snowed and they didn't have any ploughing equipment for the runways - why? 'cos it hadn't snowed in the previous 15 years o_Oo_Oo_O

Reactions: 1 users

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
You gotta remember that a few years ago, Heathrow airport were caught out when it snowed and they didn't have any ploughing equipment for the runways - why? 'cos it hadn't snowed in the previous 15 years o_Oo_Oo_O
'orses for courses.
Over here they're getting the plows wound up and ready to go ... and I have my snow shovels ready to hand, in the hope that I won't need them for a while yet :wondering:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Here's hoping that we get white stuff this year........

1 snow flanger detail.jpg

1a snow flanger form other side.jpg2 snow  flanger other loco hanging back.jpg3 snow complete helicopter cropped.jpg4 snow rotary into the face.jpg

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I love that this turned into a thread about everyone' plows. The OP is invalid now since the plow sold, so perhaps I can build something...