Easy to Use Video Editing Software

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
Finally, now that I am staying close to home, it is time to organize my various media collections into useful and entertaining productions. In the large scale railroad world, I have various bits like THIS test track piece, which illustrates my thoughts one way to complicate my planned indoor layout. I have some computer capability but no video editing experience. I don't need to do fancy productions, just home style trimming, adding titles, maybe the occasional fade and voice-over where appropriate.

What video editing software might those of you with experience recommend? Thanks for your thoughts!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Finally, now that I am staying close to home, it is time to organize my various media collections into useful and entertaining productions. In the large scale railroad world, I have various bits like THIS test track piece, which illustrates my thoughts one way to complicate my planned indoor layout. I have some computer capability but no video editing experience. I don't need to do fancy productions, just home style trimming, adding titles, maybe the occasional fade and voice-over where appropriate.

What video editing software might those of you with experience recommend? Thanks for your thoughts!
Hi David
I use Corel VideoStudio, which is quite easy to use and has a wide range of features. However it is quite expensive and probably has far more features than you will need. I have also played around with VideoPad which is also easy to use and doesn't have the full range of features of VideoStudio which makes it less complicated. More to the point, it's free and so well worth trying to see how you get on with it.

Rik
PS It has a good range of tutorials as well, to get you started - Technical Support VideoPad Video Editor

Last edited:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
What about Windows Movie Maker? Assuming you're using a Windows PC. I think it's technically discontinued now but with a bit of googling it's not too hard to track down. I think it's even included free with a lot of versions of Windows.

It's pretty self explanatory to use but there are lots of guides availible online, videos and text based.

I've used it for everything you've listed: cropping videos, sequencing, titles, adding music (or voiceovers) over the top.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
If you’ve got a Mac they come with ‘Movie’ free video editing software. However burning a DVD on a Mac is difficult and requires extra software - I’ve been using Corel ‘Toast’ to burn DVDs but it is very unreliable and the latest update by Corel has stopped it working - even worse, their technical support cannot get it to work.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was not aware the words in the thread title, could be used in the same sentence! :wondering:;):giggle:

I also note the irony of an application called 'Toast', which does-same, to DVD's. :eek:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
If you’ve got a Mac they come with ‘Movie’ free video editing software. However burning a DVD on a Mac is difficult and requires extra software - I’ve been using Corel ‘Toast’ to burn DVDs but it is very unreliable and the latest update by Corel has stopped it working - even worse, their technical support cannot get it to work.
I have been using Toast for many years, has Corel bought out Roxio as my versions all say Roxio?

I can still use it even though I'm on Toast 10 and the current version is Toast 18. It works very well but for more professional stuff I have gone the free iMovie -> iDVD route.

Paul

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
Try 'Burn' it's a free download and will burn dvd's that work on standard players, I am using it without a failure.
Dave

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another of Apple’s lost the plot upgrades, they used to come with a DVD drive that made movies that would work just fine on a DVD TV Player. For my latest iMac I had to buy an external DVD writer as I use one quite a bit. Also the drag and drop from my Camera Movies does not want to bring them into the Mac Movie Editing Software from iPhoto, just another of Apples’s ‘enhancements’ to make life easier.

David Palmeter

Fun in the Central Hoosier Flatlands
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
palmeter.com
Best answers
Country flag
Rik - I certainly enjoy your videos and appreciate your response. VideoStudio is impressive but, as you note, is a bit pricey for my needs. I had downloaded VideoPad some time ago but, since I follow the 'learn by doing' method when attacking a new cyberthingy, my attention span timed out before I got proficient.

Thanks to Phil Partridge's comment "I was not aware the words in the thread title (easy-to-use and video editing), could be used in the same sentence!", I decided I would need to admit that taking time to look at some tutorials and consulting your link to Technical Support would be worthwhile. Thanks very much to you both for information and inspiration. I will proceed patiently with VideoPad.

Musket, I do have a PC running Windows 10 and did look at Windows Movie Maker but decided on something with current updates.

Regards to all,
David

PS - Since this is the video section, I owe you all a video. From the history files comes my first ever garden railroad and the first VIDEO showing off my initial 'LGB sectional track laid directly on the mulch' layout and my first sound system. Be sure to watch all the way to the end to get my succinct summary. :snooze:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Like most things, video editing does get easier with practice. Once you've got your head round the basic concepts, it is pretty straightforward, I promise you... ;)

Rik