Earl in the snow and cold

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
We got a nice light dusting of snow, combined with temps in the mid 20'F. So fired up Earl after he got some needed maintance to fix a loose smokebox and loose upper lamp iron. Let him come up to pressure sitting on the oven in the kitchen, then carried him to the railway for a single fill run. Enjoy!
20191211-130139.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very festive, but snow? Yuck

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You cannot beat the steam effects in cold and snow. Love the way the steam drifts out of the covered bridge gaps on the first circuit.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Cold, good. Snow, not good!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Needs to be 'proper-cold' (so it is dry).. The wet carp we get is no-good! :(

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I bought another Pearse engine, one of the USA style 0-4-0 switchers from an estate sale. This will be my wife's engine and its tender will get lettered for Chessie System to pull her beer reefer cars and caboose. I would really like to fine one of the Pearse Colorado 2-6-0 or Nevada 2-8-0 locomotives but they seem hard to come by, where as Countess/Earl are easy to come by. Pics of her new engine when it arrives here at our railway. Mike

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
We got a nice light dusting of snow, combined with temps in the mid 20'F. So fired up Earl after he got some needed maintance to fix a loose smokebox and loose upper lamp iron. Let him come up to pressure sitting on the oven in the kitchen, then carried him to the railway for a single fill run. Enjoy!
20191211-130139.jpg

Great video and I like the running speed also,oh how I wish for dry powdery snow here in the UK,our wet stuff is like moving rock with the plow!!!

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the kind comments. Having RC control really helps with realistic speed. I am now a firm believer in having it in all my locomotives. I prefer the palm size transmitter and use one from RCS in Australia. I can run the locomotive one handed and take video with my smartphone with my other. IMHO, Roundhouse and others should look at adopting this type of controler instead of the old school/outdated twin stick radio. There is also a new bluetooth system in developement for live steam. But we all know how hard cell phone screens can be to see in bright daylight.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the kind comments. Having RC control really helps with realistic speed. I am now a firm believer in having it in all my locomotives. I prefer the palm size transmitter and use one from RCS in Australia. I can run the locomotive one handed and take video with my smartphone with my other. IMHO, Roundhouse and others should look at adopting this type of controler instead of the old school/outdated twin stick radio. There is also a new bluetooth system in developement for live steam. But we all know how hard cell phone screens can be to see in bright daylight.
I fully concur with you on remotes. I have been using the Peter Spoorer (now FOSWORKS) Tx-3 series for some years now and would never consider going back to a racing car type handset that Roundhouse still insist on supplying with their lokies. Have to add the caveat that this is my only beef with Roundhouse.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have heard from others that Roundhouse has had issues with a consistant source for those palm controlers, so they stick with what they can get a steady supply of. But it really is time they seek out a stable source of the palm controlers and ditch the way out of date style RC controler.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have heard from others that Roundhouse has had issues with a consistant source for those palm controlers, so they stick with what they can get a steady supply of. But it really is time they seek out a stable source of the palm controlers and ditch the way out of date style RC controler.
That makes complete sense now as Roundhouse have their ‘sure as sunrise’ mission statement to keep up to.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
But it really is time they seek out a stable source of the palm controlers and ditch the way out of date style RC controler.
Ah yes, that'll be the out of date transmitters that many of us have been using for 30 years or more (I got my first in 1988) and are actually quite happy to use, thank you.

That then raises the question of choice because if I, for example, ordered a new loco I would want a twin-stick transmitter. What should the manufacturer do: Offer a choice (so complicating ordering and manufacture and adding to cost) or dictate that I can only have a palm-type transmitter?

As you mention, there is also the question of supply and I would have thought that is for the transmitter manufacturers to resolve, not the loco manufacturer, wouldn't you agree?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ah yes, that'll be the out of date transmitters that many of us have been using for 30 years or more (I got my first in 1988) and are actually quite happy to use, thank you.

That then raises the question of choice because if I, for example, ordered a new loco I would want a twin-stick transmitter. What should the manufacturer do: Offer a choice (so complicating ordering and manufacture and adding to cost) or dictate that I can only have a palm-type transmitter?

As you mention, there is also the question of supply and I would have thought that is for the transmitter manufacturers to resolve, not the loco manufacturer, wouldn't you agree?
I guess you are right on this, as it happens I am happy to swop out the 2 stick jobbies for palm as it suits what I do. I also as a rule need to change the receiver as well. The 2 stick jobbies have been sold on both here and at swopmeets though they do not get their value or give me enough for the replacements. But I want what I want and have to pay for it.

As for the 2 stick jobbies, if you have ever tried to run to Timetable with a Clipboard Simplifier and a Shunting Stick as well you would understand the practicalities of a Palm Controller that can be Velcroed onto the Clipboard.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
There is definately no market for the 2 stick jobbies, about the only place you see those used stateside is boats and aircraft(which is a different radio all together). A choice would be the perfect solution to the problem. I am proposing to Roundhouse to set my Lady Anne, on order for December 2020 delivery, for RC but leave out the controler and receiver. Just fit the servos and battery box. Worst case is I just toss the transmitter and receiver in the bin and put my receiver in to work with my RCS controler. Maybe Roundhouse will offer the palm controlers as an option in the future, just a few short years ago we were told a double farley was NEVER gonna happen, but yet we have not only a double, a single and a Garrett from them. So, times do change and attitudes toward change in general. I will say, that those I know that have switched to a palm size controler, after using a twin stick job for their live steamers, wonder why they didnt switch sooner once they see how much easier it is to drive the model. Maybe this is more true in the USA as most all of us come from the smaller scale sparkie world, so a knob style throttle is more familiar and easier for us to achieve scale speed control VS a stick radio. Mike the Aspie

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I am proposing to Roundhouse to set my Lady Anne, on order for December 2020 delivery, for RC but leave out the controler and receiver.
Which, I have no doubt, they will do for you.
I will say, that those I know that have switched to a palm size controler, after using a twin stick job for their live steamers, wonder why they didnt switch sooner once they see how much easier it is to drive the model.
Whereas I, having fitted several palm type systems for customers, wonder every time "Why on earth would anybody want one of these?". Horses for courses, I guess.

One caveat of mine though: The 2-stick controller has to be set up correctly, i.e. both sticks go up and down, not side-to-side, and both have ratchets without springs.

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I really do think it goes back to most of us in the states coming into G scale and live steam from the smaller electrically powered models. Of which most all controlers are knob based and not stick or lever style. Personally, I like not having a large twin stick transmitter to have to pack to travel to steam meets as it didn't fit in my engines wood case, so it had to be packed elsewhere and atleast twice I forgot the darn thing. Not the case with my palm controller. The choice is what makes the hobby so great. So many choices, from the models themselves to how they are controlled. One only has to go back to some of the early issues of the magazines to see how far we have come. Not that long ago, A few basic Merlin or crude Roundhouse models was all one could easily find beyond the Mamod in the USA. Or higher priced Aster gauge one models. Now with the internet and several builders turning out models, we are in the golden era for this type of modeling for those that cannot build their own live steamer. Cheers Mike

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I fully concur with you on remotes. I have been using the Peter Spoorer (now FOSWORKS) Tx-3 series for some years now and would never consider going back to a racing car type handset that Roundhouse still insist on supplying with their lokies. Have to add the caveat that this is my only beef with Roundhouse.
Could it be anything to do with ease of operation and robustness? Most new garden railway folk like to start easy, and I've always had the impression that Roundhouse are pretty much fill up, light up and go, and the toggle handsets are usually large enough not to easily do the wrong thing with

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Could it be anything to do with ease of operation and robustness? Most new garden railway folk like to start easy, and I've always had the impression that Roundhouse are pretty much fill up, light up and go, and the toggle handsets are usually large enough not to easily do the wrong thing with
If you ever get around to mine next summer will demonstrate both methods as I have a Diesel that I have not thus far been able to convert to a Palm Controller, believe me I have tried!