Duff cheapo batteries

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
on the opposite end of this topic

in case youve seen these but havent tried them

i have had amazing luck with the very pricey lithium aa and aaa eveready batteries

the thing that makes these worth the very high price is a ten year shelf life, cold weather performance way above alkalines, and, perhaps best and most importantly to me-the power remains almost the same no matter where you are in the life span/drainage-exceptional in flashlights as well as other applications

particularly suited to backpacking, mountaineering etc -a spare set is reliable for years,and they weigh about half alkaline comparables

I have used Energiser lithium AA and PP3s the latter in mini video cams. A standard Duracell lasts approx 1hr but the lithium will better 4hrs.
Excellent but pricey.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
You can't beat 'em.............................

Especially the bigger size ones?

d80b6a1546994f67b3eaf4e66756e915.jpg

This isn't Photoshopped but an actual size battery!

It was taken a couple of years ago for our staff calendar.

I should say though, that it is an inflatable display that we have at work, and not a real one.

It does though, have a slow puncture and like a real battery, after a time it does go flat....

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
I have used Energiser lithium AA and PP3s the latter in mini video cams. A standard Duracell lasts approx 1hr but the lithium will better 4hrs.
Excellent but pricey.

Wondering if anyone's used Lithium AA's in a loco?

I use alkalines - usually Duracell - for casual running because of the the quick change option, rather than re-charging.
I've been thinking about trying Li's - brilliant in cameras, but locos?

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Yep Ross, research is the key. I got Lipos for example. They are kept in a firproof box when not in use. I NEVER charge them unattended and absolutly avoid puncture as a fire will usually result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OsBc8RqSKU < Link To Lipo fire

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
IF you can find them Panasonic batteries are very long lived but they are hard to find.

M&S batteries are made by Panasonic - or at least they were when I worked for them until 3 years ago - they probably still are

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
I bought some Halfords AA batteries before Xmas and they've performed well. Not quite as good as Duracell, but excellent value.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
KeithT said:
IF you can find them Panasonic batteries are very long lived but they are hard to find.

M&S batteries are made by Panasonic - or at least they were when I worked for them until 3 years ago - they probably still are

Worth knowing.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ROSS said:
[align=center]Thought for the New Year

Cheapness does not equate quality

;)[/align]

Alas, neither does a high price! :crying:

"On the topic of quality, endless squabbles can be had. Yet one thing is sure: the worm must please the fish, not the angler"
- Helmut Thoma, Austrian businessman and motivational speaker

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
ROSS said:
[align=center]Thought for the New Year

Cheapness does not equate quality

;)[/align]

Alas, neither does a high price! :crying:

"On the topic of quality, endless squabbles can be had. Yet one thing is sure: the worm must please the fish, not the angler"
- Helmut Thoma, Austrian businessman and motivational speaker

"You pays your money and you takes your chance" as the saying goes.
Many, many moons ago I bought mini avo meter which had Made in China Flying Horse AA battery already fitted.
Flying Horse batteries were the cheapest of the cheapies at that time.

27yrs later it was still going strong until on one occasion I forgot to switch it off.:happy:

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
It is probably a bit late to make this observation but here goes.
Beware if you have bought cheap batteries recently.
Just before Xmas I bought several packs of AA and AAA batteries from the local "no more than a pound" shop.
These are marked "Powercell" with a black body and red top. There are 16 batteries in each pack.
They are unadulterated rubbish.
When did you last have a battery which leaked Sal Ammoniac Solution?
They have leaked into the battery compartments of 4 miniature houses corroding the contacts. The liquid - I am amazed that there could be so much in such a small space - has leaked through onto the surface below. Fortunately, I had placed everything on a cloth otherwise we would be looking at damaged paint/varnish.
On further examination I found that 3/4 of the AAs and over 1/2 of the AAAs were flat and leaking in their packs.
There is no country of origin on the pack but no prizes for guessing where they probably came from, there is only the importers name, ITP Imports.
I know the adage " if it looks too good to be trued then it is" but these are an extreme case.

I have just googled ITP Imports and I see they do a range of goods including pregnancy testing kits.
Well Good Luck with those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
You will need it!:banghead:

[align=center]I got some for a quid and they were /are labelled Duracell, totally duff as well, must be cheaper than having to dispose of these and pay someone, than have all the stock dispersed and cover the transport costs I reckon,
[/align]

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
MR SPOCK said:
KeithT said:
Just before Xmas I bought several packs of AA and AAA batteries from the local "no more than a pound" shop.
These are marked "Powercell" with a black body and red top. There are 16 batteries in each pack.
They have leaked into the battery compartments of 4 miniature houses corroding the contacts. The liquid - I am amazed that there could be so much in such a small space - has leaked through onto the surface below. Fortunately, I had placed everything on a cloth otherwise we would be looking at damaged paint/varnish.
On further examination I found that 3/4 of the AAs and over 1/2 of the AAAs were flat and leaking in their packs.
There is no country of origin on the pack but no prizes for guessing where they probably came from, there is only the importers name, ITP Imports.
I know the adage " if it looks too good to be trued then it is" but these are an extreme case.

I have just googled ITP Imports and I see they do a range of goods including pregnancy testing kits.

[align=center]I got some for a quid and they were /are labelled Duracell, totally duff as well, must be cheaper than having to dispose of these and pay someone, than have all the stock dispersed and cover the transport costs I reckon,
[/align]
Pete
Duracell normally have a "Use by" date on them.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
Yep the date was 8/2011 but I got my quid back and got a big bar of chocolate instead, it lasted longer than the batterries did, !!!
MR SPOCK said:
KeithT said:

KeithT said:
MR SPOCK said:
[/align]
Pete

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not good if they were indeed genuine Duracell and were in-date: take 'em back. £1 is obviously too cheap for that many genuine branded batteries so I'd be suspicious of buying them in the first place.

Wifey bought some cheapo LED cluster lights last year that didn't last long. when I opened them up they had "lookie-likie" batteries that whilst not labelled as such certainly looked extremely similar to Duracell, even down to a fake non-functional power-checker printed on the side. Oh, and some had leaked too.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
MR SPOCK said:
[align=center]
KeithT said:
Yep the date was 8/2011 but I got my quid back and got a big bar of chocolate instead, it lasted longer than the batterries did, !!!
MR SPOCK said:
KeithT said:

[/align] [align=center]I got some for a quid and they were /are labelled Duracell, totally duff as well, must be cheaper than having to dispose of these and pay someone, than have all the stock dispersed and cover the transport costs I reckon,
[/align]
Pete

Thanks for reminding me. I got a big bar of chocolate at Xmas. I must 'liberate' it before HWMBO gets back this evening. :D :D :D
EDIT: Mmm delicious. Cadbury's Fruit and Nut:clap: