Duff cheapo batteries

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It is probably a bit late to make this observation but here goes.
Beware if you have bought cheap batteries recently.
Just before Xmas I bought several packs of AA and AAA batteries from the local "no more than a pound" shop.
These are marked "Powercell" with a black body and red top. There are 16 batteries in each pack.
They are unadulterated rubbish.
When did you last have a battery which leaked Sal Ammoniac Solution?
They have leaked into the battery compartments of 4 miniature houses corroding the contacts. The liquid - I am amazed that there could be so much in such a small space - has leaked through onto the surface below. Fortunately, I had placed everything on a cloth otherwise we would be looking at damaged paint/varnish.
On further examination I found that 3/4 of the AAs and over 1/2 of the AAAs were flat and leaking in their packs.
There is no country of origin on the pack but no prizes for guessing where they probably came from, there is only the importers name, ITP Imports.
I know the adage " if it looks too good to be trued then it is" but these are an extreme case.

I have just googled ITP Imports and I see they do a range of goods including pregnancy testing kits.
Well Good Luck with those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
You will need it!:banghead:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If they are still in the packs then take them back to the shop.

If they get funny, then call your local Trading Standards....

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Keith I sure hope those Pregnancy Kits aren't battery powered! ;)

Dont buy cheep "no name" batteries, you get what you pay for.

At best maybe an hour running time before they drain, at worst they break apart leaking like yours did. I am switching all my batteries needs to Duracell rechargables, but keep packs some on hand for emergencies.

Best brands by experience:

1. Duracell, these last the longest. period
2. Energizer, almost as good as the Duracells despite the Bunny commercials.
3. Eveready, good in a pinch but only last about 1/2 as long as Duracells.

Rest are junk as far as I am concerned.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
If they are still in the packs then take them back to the shop.

If they get funny, then call your local Trading Standards....

I have opened all the packs to try to get enough to work over Xmas but I shall collect them together and take them back.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
IF you can find them Panasonic batteries are very long lived but they are hard to find.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Normally I would use rechargeables but the stock I bought from Maplins a while ago have proved to be very poor value.
I have had Ansmann Max e from Tantronics uk
. recommended along with Sanyo Eneloop batteries which I gather are very similar.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
KeithT said:
Normally I would use rechargeables but the stock I bought from Maplins a while ago have proved to be very poor value.
. recommended along with Sanyo Eneloop batteries which I gather are very similar.

Keith, they must be pretty awful, look what they've done to your print size!!!!!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Got some Pifco C cells today - cheap but basically useless.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Glengrant said:
KeithT said:

Keith, they must be pretty awful, look what they've done to your print size!!!!!

I'm doomed, doomed ye ken?:-

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
once again the thrill of the price exceeds the expectations of pleasure.............................................OOOO you are awful

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
once again the thrill of the price exceeds the expectations of pleasure.............................................OOOO you are awful

True but in the past I have had some remarkable purchases from that particular shop.
Ah well, put it down to experience.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
There is a place in Jersey that does quality batteries at a reasonable price. Cannot remember the name but RobsMorgan on here knows 'em.
Come in Rob.

I think it is the one which sells AnsmannE batteries through Amazon, PicStop.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
We recently bought two packs of a well known battery (a pink rabbit advertises them sometimes) from a local Co-Operative store. Buy one get one free was the deal. However two were obvious 'duds'. "No problem Sir, return them and we will replace them" I was told, which. is just what they did.

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
For cheap good rechargable batteries you can't beat the ones sold by Aldi. Great value for money at around £2.99 for 4 AA's.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I use the Aldi PP3s at £2.99ish for running my coach lights, can't go wrong for the money

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Had some of these cheap batteries from B & M in my TE but after a little time they didn't work only to find when i went to change them they had leaked acid on the metal springs and burnt them so that there was no contact between batteries :wits: I only use brand name batteries now

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
You can't beat 'em.............................
5d6b0b26441240aca564dcf5c237f804.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
on the opposite end of this topic

in case youve seen these but havent tried them

i have had amazing luck with the very pricey lithium aa and aaa eveready batteries

the thing that makes these worth the very high price is a ten year shelf life, cold weather performance way above alkalines, and, perhaps best and most importantly to me-the power remains almost the same no matter where you are in the life span/drainage-exceptional in flashlights as well as other applications

particularly suited to backpacking, mountaineering etc -a spare set is reliable for years,and they weigh about half alkaline comparables

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
You can't beat 'em.............................
images
We used to test these for Duracell in the 1950s in potholes! A revelation in battery technology in those day but pretty dangerous as they give virtually no warning when they are about to fail. It is no joke being halfway down a long pitch under a waterfall when your light gives out. :timeout:
I preferred my acetylene lamp!