Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I'm planning on creating a double track section in my layout - in essence a large passing loop - and want to use LGB R5 points at the start of one end of the section.

I've not used R5 before and am unsure whether simply adding a R5 curve to the curved part of the R5 point would (a) give me correct parallel track alignment and (b) the distance between the tracks would be sufficient for 2 trains to pass safely. As I don't have any spare R5 curves available to check it out, just wondered if anyone has done this and can confirm it will work or not. Diagram below probably helps.

Thanks.

Phil

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This question has set me thinking: :think:

Are all LGB 'settrack' curves the same number of degrees? - So the same number of pieces to a full-circle??

Don't R3 (not sure about R5) points come with a short piece of track, to maintain geometry?
:think::think:

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting point Phil. In the R5 points box there is a small piece of straight track included and the LGB instructions from the LGB Database say "In some track configurations, the ties of track sections attached an R5 switch will interfere with each other. If this occurs, use the 150 mm straight track section included with each R5 manual switch. To fit the section, you can cut the ties as needed along the line molded on the underside of the ties."

So when I read this, I thought maybe connecting an R5 curve to R5 points won't give me the clearance between tracks I'm after. However, i unearthed the diagram below from my "keep this it may be useful" folder and this seems to show connecting 2 R5 points together works fine. So I guess I have an additional question which is "Is an R5 curve the same dimensions as the curved portion of a set of R5 points?

Phil

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
This question has set me thinking: :think:

Are all LGB 'settrack' curves the same number of degrees? - So the same number of pieces to a full-circle??

Don't R3 (not sure about R5) points come with a short piece of track, to maintain geometry?
:think::think:
Don't think R3s do, but I'm sure there are some that do :rolleyes::rolleyes:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I think a lot depends on the size of loco/stock you run as to whether you would have sufficient clearance. I have a Bachmann K27 which often runs with an LGB Sachsen on t’other track - Rule 8 - without a spacer section they clash!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting point Phil. In the R5 points box there is a small piece of straight track included and the LGB instructions from the LGB Database say "In some track configurations, the ties of track sections attached an R5 switch will interfere with each other. If this occurs, use the 150 mm straight track section included with each R5 manual switch. To fit the section, you can cut the ties as needed along the line molded on the underside of the ties."

So when I read this, I thought maybe connecting an R5 curve to R5 points won't give me the clearance between tracks I'm after. However, i unearthed the diagram below from my "keep this it may be useful" folder and this seems to show connecting 2 R5 points together works fine. So I guess I have an additional question which is "Is an R5 curve the same dimensions as the curved portion of a set of R5 points?

View attachment 254286

Phil

That diagram by the way is a screen shot of my web site, should anyone want to see the chart in full resolution (I did not do the LGB track diagram)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I think a lot depends on the size of loco/stock you run as to whether you would have sufficient clearance. I have a Bachmann K27 which often runs with an LGB Sachsen on t’other track - Rule 8 - without a spacer section they clash!

Yep, there was a similar thread recently discussing clearance and track centres with R5 - or was it this thread and it lost some replies with the recent server problem? I'm sure I replied!
DSCN1162.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've said this before, we get too screwed up with the geometry of set track - get the hacksaw out and just lay a track layout that works :nod::nod::nod: