Double track width and materail

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
I have to set up a 2 track section, how wide of board do I need and what sort of materail would you use? Les

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Dinas Bryn said:
I have to set up a 2 track section, how wide of board do I need and what sort of materail would you use? Les

For R3 and above the track centres are 18.5 cm, so I would triple this and use say 56 cm....

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just been out lLes. R1 to R2 centre to centre 7 3/4" (197 mm)

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Looks like I wasn't too far out when I guessed at 7" centres then for NG.

:clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:

On my layout, with R1/R2 curves and points, the track centres are 16.5 cm, so maybe a 50 cm board width would suffice....

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I used 2X12 boards for my double track sections..........

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
I think problems arise where there is a reverse curve as we found on Phil's layout today. Long and wide stock generally clears his catenary posts except at one point if some stock is reversed. Whereas stock with a long overhang will pass OK forwards, in reverse there is a tendency for the bogie to slew pushing a corner out and causing it to foul the post.
I had the same problem with a bridge abutment, it was well clear in one direction but got hit when approached from the opposite direction.
Trial and error needed or a wide track spacing.

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Hi thanks for your commenrs, CME said a 12" plank would be enough so going on what you said Phil he is right? do they make a 12"board? he says they must to do it for soffet? I was doing so well until he came this lunch(joking ofcourse) Les

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
a Twelve inch plank is perfect but a soffet board? I would think it will warp like a pretzle outside, Thats why I used pressure treated 2in X12in Redwood. but if your indoors I dare say something thinner will suffice

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
a Twelve inch plank is perfect but a soffet board? I would think it will warp like a pretzle outside, Thats why I used pressure treated 2in X12in Redwood. but if your indoors I dare say something thinner will suffice
The plastic composite soffit boards seem dimensionally stable.
I have had several offcuts outside and just propped against atree for over 5 years and they are as good as when they were delivered. I don't think they come cheap though.

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Hi Keith, my Keith said timber but I have never heard of 12" timber in the UK, I have used shutting ply here but as he is in a wheelchair it is too big for him to cut and we wouldn't use that much, 2" thick redwood I wish, I would hve to take a morgage out for that timber Les

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Les think I would prefere to go a bit wider . May be up to 14" just so the locos not on the edge.

Think the best solution is special plywood. They use it on wagon flooring. Just trying to think of the trade name. Don't even think of "normal" exterior ply. Todays ply is like blotting paper. Soaks up water and blows apart in a similar way to MDF when that gets wet. Itwould of coarse need a base or frame work to support it.

If you took the width up to 16" you could get 3 x 8ft rippings out of one sheet plus a bit of added safety if a loco derails

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
For mine, I used OSB (oriented strand board) that's often used in roofing, 19mm thick on a wood frame, then covered with roofing felt cap sheet. See my layout in "Problems on the T.V.B.L." on here.

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
i used marine grad ply on 3 inch fencing posts (round) banged into the ground with a post banger. The ply lasted more than 10 years outside without any real sign of deterioration. Its expensive but when I tried external grade for an extention it was delaminating within 2 years. Luckily we moved before it had to be replaced.

AC

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
Les think I would prefere to go a bit wider . May be up to 14" just so the locos not on the edge.

Think the best solution is special plywood. They use it on wagon flooring. Just trying to think of the trade name. Don't even think of "normal" exterior ply. Todays ply is like blotting paper. Soaks up water and blows apart in a similar way to MDF when that gets wet. Itwould of coarse need a base or frame work to support it.

If you took the width up to 16" you could get 3 x 8ft rippings out of one sheet plus a bit of added safety if a loco derails

I think your talking about phenolitic ply. It uses a special phenolitic resin as glue. Pretty bomb proof it is.

Try this link. http://www.southern-timber.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/ply_phenolic.html