Does this count as large scale..?

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Been stuck at home for 4 weeks now and it's starting to tell.
Due to the (mostly.) mostly good weather, I've finally got around to sorting out the junk behind the shed. I was looking for things to use as planters.
Found a couple of old plastic water tanks, some off cuts of 2 x 2 and box section steel tube so...
The alpines and sedums now have a new home and the one in the sunniest position now holds potatoes and garlic.
They just need a bit more detailing and weathering. Should be interesting
Now what can I find to do with the old washing machine, rusting tent fame and plastic lobster pot. (Don't ask.)?
Regards,
Paul.
NB: By pure fluke they turned out to be 7 1/2" gauge...

New pit tubs (1).JPGNew pit tubs _4_.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Superb, you could cut up some of the washing machine to make strapping detain on your wagons, using the i side sanded to bare metal and screwed onto the planters with self tapping screws would make great rusting detail tom make the wagons look good and old.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Superb, you could cut up some of the washing machine to make strapping detain on your wagons, using the i side sanded to bare metal and screwed onto the planters with self tapping screws would make great rusting detail tom make the wagons look good and old.
Thanks for the idea. However the tanks lend themselves more to the 'economy' sheet steel type used locally to me. These were devoid of strapping, being two ends and two sides riveted together. (See attached photo.)
To this end, I checked a few dozen clout nail in the incinerator to compromise their galvanised coating . The tubs have a wooden internal framework, so I'll drill right through and mastic the nails in to look like rivets. a good slosh of vinegar should start the rusting process on the burnt nails. Also there was a old five gallon tank full of rusty scrap and half full of rusty water. I drained it into an old paint can and boiled it down to a thick rusty sludge. I intend to mix this with acrylic varnish and paint it on.
When it's dry, I'll give it a quick sand over to expose the rust to the elements. Fingers crossed it will work Ok.
Regards,
Paul.
Pit_tub_flower_baskets.jpg
Nb: The wheels are caravan leg supports screwed to the support legs. The support legs sit on the sleepers. The 'wheels' are not taking any load.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Entered stage one of the weathering and detailing process. (between showers.)
A couple of shiny spots still to clear up, green and darker rust to add. Then it will be time for the final real rust / matt lacquer coat and sand over.
I experimented with putting dents and dings into a spare tank, but it didn't look right. More experimentation required!
My neighbours, (watching from a safe distance.) thought I'd gone mental, attacking a plastic tank with a hammer, axe and blowlamp.
(They just could be right...):oops:
Regards,
Paul.

Pit tubs weathering stage 1.jpg