dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Think I may also consider some way of stopping excess heat getting to the Gas Tank, this is in pretty close proximity to the Boiler. But it may cause problems with Gas flow in Cold Weather which is probably what started the myth about heating up Gas Tanks in Tenders.

As for letting others drive ones Locomotive, I think that my indoor section may have been a part of the issue but will never know. Certainly that is where the problem was created during a Shunt Movement. Perhaps outside any Gas Blowback is sorted by friendly wind currents or just air disipations.
JonD

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps outside any Gas Blowback is sorted by friendly wind currents or just air disipations.
JonD

Reminds me of Benny Hill sketch where he named his ranch house on the prairie 'Passing Wind' ...................... :smoke::smoke:

Reactions: 1 user

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
Reminds me of Benny Hill sketch where he named his ranch house on the prairie 'Passing Wind' ...................... :smoke::smoke:
Why you no risson? Sirry iriot:) Loved Benny hill when I were a boy chap.

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately it's humour is now misunderstood:(
That is sadly true, derided by the PC Brigade. BH humour was nieve, funny and never missed an opportunity to take fun of itself. How sad to loose such fun in the world where many current comedians appear to only be able to get a belly laugh out of excessive use of profanities. Yes many of use use them, but not all the time and not in the hearing of young children. No wonder we hear kids from infant and junior Schools walking down the Street f-n and b-n as if it was normal conversation.
JonD

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That is sadly true, derided by the PC Brigade. BH humour was nieve, funny and never missed an opportunity to take fun of itself. How sad to loose such fun in the world where many current comedians appear to only be able to get a belly laugh out of excessive use of profanities. Yes many of use use them, but not all the time and not in the hearing of young children. No wonder we hear kids from infant and junior Schools walking down the Street f-n and b-n as if it was normal conversation.
JonD
I couldn't agree more. True an awful lot of shows in the past were definitely close to the knuckle (Black and White Minstrels? Anyone know why or what someone was thinking of there?). Today's shows seem obsessed with sex, drugs & drinking preferably at the same time. What's more offensive, Benny Hill drooling at dolly birds or plastic bodied pillocks openly getting it on with other plastic pillocks?

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So after a little thread drift via Benny Hill it was time for some work.

The Replacement gear arrived Oz a week ir two back and I finally got round to ordering some replacement Insulating Drivers from Roundhouse. All was set for a Rainy day that in part came on Sunday. Jack has been in bits now for a few weeks and the rebuild would incorporate the detail parts that I have obtained from Locoworks. The first image shows these parts which included a set of Footplates, Oil Castings, new Oil Tank Screw and Glazing Bars. The footplate already had the new Springs mounted on them by Locoworks.
image.jpeg
The rebuild incorporated some attempts to reduce the likelyhood of a repeat of the burnout. So a fill in crossframe has been fabricated to sit just in front of the front set of drivers. This was screwed to the Frame Spacer and gets as close as possible to Track Level. Seen in the next two pictures.
image.jpeg
Also seen in this picture is the Frame Top, well the unpainted bottom of it. This is an attempt to stop gas getting behind the Smokebox and into the Wheels and SloMo. You can see the vunerable Nylon Gear (white) in the pic below.
image.jpeg
The Top of the cross flat can be seen painted Matt Black with the unpainted location where the original clunky Roundhouse Springs have been removed.
image.jpeg
Gernrode Station.
All back together now and Jack has had a lot of touching up paint wise. I rather like the new Footplate, it certainly to me lifts the Locomotive somewhat. I have also weathered the Rods, though how long this will lastbremains to be seen. The Glazing shows up well as does the redundant new Oil Filler with its Red Brake look. This had to be replaced for the original as I forgot when ordering the bits that the Driver sits on the Oil Reservoir.
image.jpeg
I have somehow missed the Smokebox Front Screw which should pull it down somewhat. Another little job that will probably involve a full strip down!
image.jpeg
Silberhutte Station.
Out on the line with a Short Test Train. You can see the Driver sat on top of the Oil Reservoir, must get somewhat warm in the nether regions! Could not manage much better than this short Test Train as the Station in the Shed is still full of Track waiting to be sold !
image.jpeg
A pic on the Viaduct was of course obligatory!
image.jpeg
Running into Silberhutte Bunker First.
image.jpeg
Alexisbad Station.
Examining the site of the burn up after taking Water. Note the burnt up Sleeper by the Brown Patch in front of the Loco.
image.jpeg
Must do something about that horrible hole in the Sleeper, a leave over from when I used to use Brass Screws to hold down Track in my old Garden.
JonD

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, great to see the engine back in service. I hope to have something along the lines of your engine soon. The Fowler is a bit to big for my little line and not really the look I want. Might have to make some changes to her if I am unable to sell/trade her off. Mike

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I had a Roundhouse Fowler many years ago, in fact it was one of the very early ones. Worked well on the clubs indoor track but was found to be lacking on the haulage stakes on my outdoor line with smalish curves (not R1 though) and gradients. Was all that tender and centre axle to lug around. I sold it on and the haulage issues were an even bigger problem to the guy that I sold it too as he had a heavy accelerator finger and it was always just slipping. He has since sold it on as well. Had I have kept it I think that I may well have removed the Tender and converted it into some kind of 0-6-2 Tank Loco. This would have helped somewhat and probably given places to put in some extra Lead Weight. It would have meant that the driver whose arm was pivoted and connected to the regulator would have been more difficult to see. Always caused a stir at shows.
JonD

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great Jon. Just wondering, why do SloMo use a nylon gear ? The others are brass, why just that one. Seems a bit of an oversight given the environment it has to work in. Likewise I have found the Roundhouse plastic insulators, with built in grub screws, to be a bit of a weak spot. Much prefer the Accucraft solution to wheel re-gauging and insulation. Max

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
If I ever have to replace the wheel sets in my Fowler, I will go with non insulated ones instead. I have flanged wheel sets for my Fowler, but it makes her have a tendency to climb the rail with the lead driver in R1 curves with an unsprung chassis. It does not bind, just a bit derailment prone on my less than perfect track. I put the blind drivers(which do not even touch the rails) back in and all was well. I am on the list for one of the Lady Anne slo-mos to fit to Fowler, should have it sometime in late October. Yes Fowler is slippery, he needs more weight. The Sandy River #24 is the same way, Seen one slipping and sliding at a steam up and was not impressed for such a large engine to be so slippery. If I was able to do my own body work, I to would convert from a tender engine to a tank style, with the look of one of the LGB Austrian U class 0-6-2t engines. A RH Billy kit will be my next engine, probably later this winter or early next year. He will get painted like a LGB Stainz starter set engine. Not a huge live steam sector here in the states like in the UK and trading engines with someone in the UK doesn't really work thanks to import taxes on the UK side. So I reworked Fowler into something a bit more pleasing to my eye. Cant wait to get the Slo-mo fitted. I wont decide on RC or not till then. Mike

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great Jon. Just wondering, why do SloMo use a nylon gear ? The others are brass, why just that one. Seems a bit of an oversight given the environment it has to work in. Likewise I have found the Roundhouse plastic insulators, with built in grub screws, to be a bit of a weak spot. Much prefer the Accucraft solution to wheel re-gauging and insulation. Max
Yes I did wonder about the Nylon Gear, must ask Terry next time I mail him.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If I ever have to replace the wheel sets in my Fowler, I will go with non insulated ones instead. I have flanged wheel sets for my Fowler, but it makes her have a tendency to climb the rail with the lead driver in R1 curves with an unsprung chassis. It does not bind, just a bit derailment prone on my less than perfect track. I put the blind drivers(which do not even touch the rails) back in and all was well. I am on the list for one of the Lady Anne slo-mos to fit to Fowler, should have it sometime in late October. Yes Fowler is slippery, he needs more weight. The Sandy River #24 is the same way, Seen one slipping and sliding at a steam up and was not impressed for such a large engine to be so slippery. If I was able to do my own body work, I to would convert from a tender engine to a tank style, with the look of one of the LGB Austrian U class 0-6-2t engines. A RH Billy kit will be my next engine, probably later this winter or early next year. He will get painted like a LGB Stainz starter set engine. Not a huge live steam sector here in the states like in the UK and trading engines with someone in the UK doesn't really work thanks to import taxes on the UK side. So I reworked Fowler into something a bit more pleasing to my eye. Cant wait to get the Slo-mo fitted. I wont decide on RC or not till then. Mike
You should find as I did that traction is improved with the SloMo, to do with not being able to slip anymore so all the tarction is available at the wheels to pull the load. Modern trains spend millions on anti-slip devices, we get one for a couple of hundred quid. Something to be learnt there me feels.
JonD