Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I need to remove the roof from a Pola signal box I put on my layout a while back. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I actually glued the roof in place rather than simply resting it on top of the rest of the structure and despite some gentle pulling and levering it is staying steadfastly attached to the rest of the building!!!!

Any suggestions for either dissolving or weakening the Pola / UHU glues that come with these kits in a non-destructive manner?

Thanks in advance,

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Warm soapy water might help loosen it.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks - i can stick it in a bowl of warm water and Fairy liquid and see how that goes.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks - i can stick it in a bowl of warm water and Fairy liquid and see how that goes.

Depending on the design, it may loose other parts too, so keep an eye open for small parts floating away!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I need to remove the roof from a Pola signal box I put on my layout a while back. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I actually glued the roof in place rather than simply resting it on top of the rest of the structure and despite some gentle pulling and levering it is staying steadfastly attached to the rest of the building!!!!

Any suggestions for either dissolving or weakening the Pola / UHU glues that come with these kits in a non-destructive manner?

Thanks in advance,
Or you could leave it in the Garden for around 10 years, most glues seam to come unhinged in that timeframe to a greater ir lesser extent. Probably not much help with your current needs!
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Or you could leave it in the Garden for around 10 years, most glues seam to come unhinged in that timeframe to a greater ir lesser extent. Probably not much help with your current needs!
JonD
Jon, I did consider this approach after initial attempts to take the roof off met with some alarming cracking noises!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Cant recommend this, but just drop it. Mine seem to re-kit themselves with a sharp knock!

Reactions: 1 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Don't kill the messenger but Pola glue is bulletproof. Uhu (why name a glue after an owl?) isn't far behind. Modern Uhu glues are made without solvent, so soaking may work, but if you used an earlier solvent-based variety you are stuck.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting. From what I read here and elsewhere most peeps don't remove the "weathered" finish properly from jointing areas of these plastic moldings, resulting in solvent based adhesives not providing a good bond. As a result self disassembly should be a doddle on most styrene kit built buildings. Take a careful look to work out what adhesive seems to have been used. I sometimes use an "Xacto" type slim chisel blade in one of their chunky razor saw handles to gently prise apart joints where the adhesive is still doing its job. Just work along the line of the joint gently hammering the blade. Max

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
In the end I used a craft knife blade to "sever" the adhesive and levered the roof off. Bit nerve-wracking but it came away without damage. Note to self - in future don't glue rooves on to buildings!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Note to self - in future don't glue rooves on to buildings!
Problem with this solution is that the roof may just dissapear one day, this happened to my small alpine Church's pointy one. Still not done a new one. Think the option is to find a mechanical way to hold them in place, perhaps with a couple of small L angles inside and a brass pin passing through a hole in the side and the L.
JonD

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Good point. I've always thought that assembly and mounting of rooves in both Pola and Piko kits hadn't really been thought through - or if it had, the best technical solution had been discarded due to increased manufacturing costs. I like the brass pin idea - maybe something I can experiment with.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Good point. I've always thought that assembly and mounting of rooves in both Pola and Piko kits hadn't really been thought through - or if it had, the best technical solution had been discarded due to increased manufacturing costs. I like the brass pin idea - maybe something I can experiment with.

or hang a weight to the inside of the roof?

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Problem with this solution is that the roof may just dissapear one day, this happened to my small alpine Church's pointy one. Still not done a new one.
JonD

Missing church roof, blame Jimmy Brown...;)

Reactions: 1 users

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks in advance,
Phil, I've loosened several buildings, both pola, piko and kalamazoo car bodies using acetone, yes it will dissolve plastic so use sparingly, it does have a very rapid evaporation rate so it's doesn't dissolve thinks like as bad MEK and after you get the hang of it , it works great, Bil