idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
As the RhB has featured in a number of threads recently, I thought I would read up on the subject.
I found this book on Amazon for £5.56 inc shipping. (It never ceases to amaze me how cheap used real books are these days.)
Die Rhätische Bahn by Franz Marti and Walter Trüb, published by Orell Füssli 1982 with 189 pages.
It contains a short history of the line(s) and over 300 pictures (colour and black and white) with captions.
There are also maps and list of locomotives.
I think it is a pretty good introduction and being published in 1982 a bit of a snapshot of how the railway was then.
It is advertised as German text but in fact to my very pleasant surprise everything is in three languages, German, French and English. So a chance to brush up your translation skills! For the price, highly recommended.
It is still available on Amazon, not quite so cheap now, may be available elsewhere.
Die Rhätische Bahn (RhB) ... =: The Rhaetian Railway (RhB): Amazon.co.uk: Franz Marti: 9783280012994: Books

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Another book that should interest RhB fans if you can find it is "Der Bau der Rhätischen Bahn" by Paul Caminada. This book, also published in 1980 by Orell Füssli, has 213 pages. The text is German only though. It too contains many photos, maps and diagrams both historical and current for its day.