Diamondhead 2010 video link

Charles M

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Arvada, Colorado, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the video link to the Diamondhead 2010 steamup in Mississippi . Lots of nice locomotives running. Several Aster models running and showing their stuff. A runby of 5 K series D&RGW locomotives is shown. Also 2 Coal fired K's are shown running .
There are 8 parts to the video segment .

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ModernSteamOnline#p/u/7/1AtRtf72HPs

Thought it would get more exposure in the Live Steam section.

Charles M

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Re:Diamondhead 2010 video link

What a fantastic event this is. We need a similar event in the UK.

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers

Curlew said:

you mean like Stoneleigh?

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers

well thats what I did last year, turned up on the day and asked if I could run 1 of my locos on a total strangers layout and made many friends.

when was the last time you went like?

wpandyr

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Southampton
Best answers

TAC,
You are absolutly correct, Stoneleigh is nothing like the Diamondhead event, I have been to both a few times so I think I am in a position to judge. :) As you said, Stoneleigh is mainly a trade show with a few layouts operating during the hours of approx 10:00 - 17:00 Whereas Diamondhead is week long steam up, 24/7 running.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

In Australia there are two Diamonhead style events a year; the Great Southern Steam Up in the Victorian hills and an event in New South Wales which alternates between the Hunter Valley and the Southern Highlands. Both are low cost , three day meetings of enthusiasts who like to run G scale, 16mm and Gauge 1 live steam locos. The venues are church/community halls. There are a total of four circuits available on 2 portable layouts and you put your name on a board to book your running times. Virtually no commercial content. A few lectures, lots of tea/coffee, a huge range of steam locos to watch and lots of good conversation between like minded souls.

It is amazing that the UK has no equivalent event.

Peter

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers

Its not hard , but it does cost a fair bit to get them rolling..The Great Southern Steam Up,had to start with a track, portable and large enough to run Guage 1 mainline locos what we built finished up 40ft long and 24 wide the outer main [45mm] is 11ft radius. the inner main [45mm] 10ft.at the time the first of the Ginormous Accucraft K series where arriving so we had to allow lots of "swing" room on the outer main and have wide centres between the tracks. the inside track is 32mm and 8ft radius but with a couple of tighter spots . NGG16s etc go happily around .

cost is significant , we where lucky to be able to buy and recycle from a estate Tenmille track for the 45mm , but the 32mm track is Sunset Valley code 250..I feel that code 250 is the best choice for portable tracks, its robust and stiff in the vertical plane. tenmille is less so and might prove to be high maintenance over the years. the base structure [plywood 5/8" ] and all cut by CNC etc is fine but heavy , and I feel an Aluminum base might be the way to go, if i did it again. The base cost more than the trackwork...

The other costs are venue hire, catering, insurance and fuel/oil/water etc [supplied for runners] to solve transport hassles.

what you finish up with is about UKP 15 /day to attend.

and most important of all, without good mates . who pitch in without being asked ,fetch and carrying,setting up , doing the safety checks cleaning up etc etc.. it wouldnt happen at all!!

Gordon.

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers

I forgot the best part.. after measuring the hall twice, with a tape to short to go a cross the hall. we did a trial erection 2 weeks before the first GSSU..remember the track was 40ft long..well the Hall turned out to be 39ft 11and3/4 inches wide! sweated blood for two days , then phoned Grant {L.N.R.} and said,, "bring your saw up" and we cut 24" out of it.

Gordon.

wpandyr

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Southampton
Best answers

Gordon,
You are right on pointing out the significant cost involved with putting on an event like this, I can't see a hotel in the UK letting 150 live steamers take over the site for a week. The hire cost does not bear thinking about. Finding another large suitable venue for setting up running tracks might be possible but again at significant hire charges and then where do all the attendees stay for the week.

I don't think a DH style event is likely to happen in the UK even if some rich benefactor ( maybe TAC :) ) was to sponsor it.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

tac said:
Pauly said:
Curlew said:

you mean like Stoneleigh?

Sir - Stoneleigh is primarily a sales event. DH is primarily a 'let's have fun with all different kinds of steam trains' event. It is about as far removed from Stoneleigh as Stoneleigh is from the Chelsea Flower show.

Take a loco along to Stoneleigh and try to run it on an exhibitor's layout and see how far you get.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org
The G Scale Society has G Rail in Nottingham during April?

It's similar to a Model Railway Exhibition, has trader support, and is predominantly G....

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers

Rod Gday..
Thats why we looked for a local hall. 3 days is enough ,believe me. by the 3rd night youre ready to collapse into bed at 8pm!
The other thing is that ,because the hobby numbers are smaller here..we allmix in together happily.if its steam driven its welcome! from Asters through Roundhouse /Accucraft/to mamods and even Bowmans and Scorpions etc..with lots of home builds as well, Tinplate to the very lastest thing..
We had 186 registrants last time.. spread over the 3 days with Saturday the busiest, some can only attend 1 day others do 2 or 3 but everyone enjoys it.

Gordon.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

The Gauge 3 society seems to do this sort of thing in the UK. They recently held a "showcase" in Basingstoke using a portable layout and they have their winter get together and AGM at Milton Keynes on 27th Feb. The latter is in the Oakgrove Leisure Centre and will involve two layouts. Members bring their locos, there is a society shop, a bring and buy table and refreshments. I don't think it is open to the public but anyone interested should contact the http://www.gscalecentral.net/www.gauge3.org.uk < Link To Gauge 3 society

Peter

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers

Greetings from a new member to this site.

I read the Diamondhead video discussion with great interest, toggling down while expecting to find at least one comment about the live streaming video I put online from Diamondhead. An estimated 70 hours of live video was presented from set-up to take-down.

My question here is whether this is the proper site to post instructions for access to the video. Jerry Reshew has already volunteered me to do it again in 2011, so there will be video next year.

I did learn that more than 11,800 views occurred from modelers and family from at least 17 time zones.

Anyway, if this is not the correct place to post instructions, would someone please help me by providing directions to the correct site.

Regards,

Will Lindley

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers

Having some kind of Diamondhead event in the UK would be great but trying to find a suitable cost-effective venue might be tricky. But what about a big old seaside hotel or holiday camp in the winter? I'm sure they'd appreciate the business. Didn't Pontins used to have some kind of annual modelling get together?

But to broaden the appeal and attract enough people you might have to open it up to all large scalers and not just the live steamers. Have different tracks for steam, electric and battery. Or broaden the appeal even further and throw it open to all scales and gauges from Z-scale up to 7 1/4" - in other words, bring whatever you want!

But to capture that DH atmosphere you'd need to have plenty of public tracks where visitors can show up and run their stuff, as well as allowing people to bring their own tracks from home, even if it's just a small loop of LGB on the carpet. This is what will separate it from a regular exhibition. It'll just be a fun laid-back event where anything goes!

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers

Glen ,
what you cant have is people just turning up and wandering in..pre registratiion is a must..other wise your subject to theft[lots of valuable toys] and you cant plan for numbers etc..
also I doubt the wisdom of opening up to electric etc. its alive steam event and thats its charm , there are plenty of events for them..its a gathering of steam fiends!

gordon.

thumper

22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers

Good morning, and thank you for the warm welcome.

Let me explain a little of Diamondhead's operation. First, you cannot simply walk in and run. You must register, and the registration fee, about $90 is a little steep if you want to show up with a loco and run. For the registration fee, you get quite a bit, including three large double tracks with dual gauge track on 3 tracks, a formal supervised "flea market" which did about $29k this year, a night at the movies with classic railroad related films, a very good luncheon at the Diamondhead Country Club complete with a well rehearsed brass band [all musicians are also live steamers] who this year, and for the years I've attended, received a well deserved standing ovation. At the hotel, butane, isobutane, steam oil and distilled water are all provided. Those burning coal must bring their own. Also provided are a secured dealer room, and daily, coffee and tea and a local favorite called a "King Cake" which is sweet coffee cake are served. Several clinics are provided during the week by knowledgeable volunteers. In addition, a guard service is provided from about 8:00 p.m. till 6:00 a.m. Security has been quite good during each of the years that I've attended. From hotel management, I was specifically told that they enjoyed having us attend and that anything needed was provided. The manager specifically told me that the hotel's occupancy/revenue was up substantially over prior years, and with this year's new format of a week long event, the hotel did better than expected. I'm sure I missed something, but the bottom line is if you didn't have a good time, it was your own fault. Almost a third of those attending this year have already registered and paid for next year.

Do I sound like a Diamondhead booster? Absolutely. I think everyone attending would agree with the above. Most of the accolades should go to Jerry Reshew and his crew for without their hard work, we would all have a tougher winter.

Regards,

Will
taperpin said:
Glen ,
what you cant have is people just turning up and wandering in..pre registration is a must..other wise your subject to theft[lots of valuable toys] and you cant plan for numbers etc..
also I doubt the wisdom of opening up to electric etc. its alive steam event and thats its charm , there are plenty of events for them..its a gathering of steam fiends!

gordon.

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers

My take on Diamondhead...

This was my 15th consecutive year. I did miss the first two, in '93 and '94. If I had my life to live over again, I wouldn't have missed those two.

[align=center]
Getting%20here%20a%20week%20early%20has%20its%20benefits..jpg

[/align]
[align=center]The Train Bar, from a few years ago
[/align]

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

The UK has four times the population of Australia. Based on the sales figures of my soundcards, you have about ten times the number of garden rail enthusiasts. If fifty odd live steam nuts turn up for one of our steam ups, surely you would get at least a couple of hundred in the UK without needing any walk ins off the street.

Peter

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers

The last Great Southern Steam Up GSSU I didn't run a train as I was nearing my hip replacement, but I wouldn't have missed it for quids.
The comrade of live steamers is absolutely fantastic.
I even got a first hand look at moonrakers K1.

I will be running trains this year.

thumper

22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers

Gentlemen and perhaps Ladies too, if you decide to have a 3 day steamup in the U.K. to which those of us on the "other" side of the pond would be invited, I know some of us, with sufficient notice, would try to schedule a visit. Boiler certs might be hard to come by, so we would just have to look at buying (maybe borrowing) something with a cert to run;( What a horrible thought!

I'll let this be my last comment on this subject.

Thanks,

Will