DH 360 Detailing

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
This project is almost a year old now. It was done before I joined this forum.

I had a Marklin Maxi shunter engine for a while. I got if from ebay for a good price, and I always liked the look of the engine. Maxi line in Marklin indicates that this is a basic engine. The whole body is two moulds, no extra detail, not even windows. Engine is placed vertically and drives a singe axle through a worm screw. Other axels are turned via the side rods. Marklin also sells a DH 500 engine which has the same chassis in red, drive is also similar but with no side rods. I don't this is a model of an actual prototype. DH 500 is a Henschel engine.

Locomotive as sold by Marklin:
IMG_9011.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9013.jpg

Bits I wanted to add are:
- Additional footplate on the front and rear
- Handrails
- Windows
- Additional guards
- Paintjob and eventually weathering
- Headlights

I based my project on the following model: http://www.spur1.de/umbauten/lokomotiven/dhg500/DHG500-im-VW-Werk/VW-Werkslok DHG500.htm
There is a company who makes detailing for this engine: http://www.spur1.de/umbauten/lokomotiven/dhg500/henschel-dhg-umbauen.htm . I already have the windows and try to get some horns and wipers.

After Googling the engine I have found that it was sold to many companies and it exists in many liveries, handrail design. Hence I decided that I will not follow any particular design, but take stuff from here and there.
These are the footplates, guards and handrails done already:
IMG_9015.jpg

Break pipes:
IMG_9018.jpg

More handrails:
DH_360_detailing_06.jpg

Handrail is 1.5 mm copper wire, guards are piece of U channel, angle and piece of plasticard. Break hose it again bit of U channel, pipe, copper wire for the lever and wire with insulation as a hose.
Engine had no headlights. The holes are exactly 5 mm so the standard 5 mm LED fits right in. Still have to drill holes for the red marker lights and connect them to the basic digital decoder that comes with the engine.

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
Test fitting of handrails:
DH_360_detailing_07.jpg

Headlights using 5mm bright white LED in the front and back:
DH_360_detailing_08.jpg

Since I am using relatively high voltage, it is easier to wire the headlights in series and only use one resistor.

The cab also got 3 SMD LEDs, two white and one yellow in the middle to soften the light. Again wired in series. The wire goes throught he exhaust stack.
DH_360_detailing_09.jpg

This model has a Marklin Delta decoder. This controls the motor and has only 1 auxillary output for headlights. The decoder is fitted enclosed with the drive just above the axles under the chassis. I got the common, front and read terminals extended.
DH_360_detailing_10.jpg

Cab got a light paintjob:
DH_360_detailing_11.jpg

Some of the brass cast details arrived from Germany:
DH_360_detailing_12.jpg

The chassis has imitation for the red tail lights. I had to drill through the chassis, but the wholes are two small even for a 3mm LED. I bundled together some fibre optic cables to for the red lights. The cables go to a wood block from one side and the 3mm red LED on the other.
DH_360_detailing_13.jpg

Final assembly follows shortly.

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
External details fitted:
DH_360_detailing_15.jpg

Some of the silver details on the chassis are completed: star in the front and back, headlight rims also painted silver. Handrail imitations painted yellow.

Top masked:
DH_360_detailing_16.jpg

I used Plasti-kote medium grey to paint the frame with the new footplates. Lighter than the original grey, but I like it.

Wiring inside:
DH_360_detailing_17.jpg

Separate circuits for the front/back headlights/tail lights and cab lights.

Small control circuit:
DH_360_detailing_19.jpg

Basically this contains the reduction resistors for each circuit, plus two diodes to feed the cab lights.

Final pictures follow.

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
Final model without any weathering:
DH_360_detailing_20.jpg

DH_360_detailing_21.jpg

The guards are sitting too low, I need to file it off slightly:
DH_360_detailing_22.jpg

Shevrons are made using yellow modeling tapes.

Night shots with the lights on:
DH_360_detailing_23.jpg

DH_360_detailing_24.jpg

I am just learning how to weather, but I am planning to weather it at some point. After all this is a cheap maxi engine, I am not planning to add sound to it just yet. On the other hand it would be handy to have remote de-coupling machanism fitted which would require another decoder with additional functions.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks all the better with the addition of the hand rails....

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Very nicely done and an excellent improvement.