Deltang / Picaxe radio control for LGB point motors

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I produced this about a year or so ago with Greg's help but have only just got around to blogging 'Wot I dun'.

I doubt it will be of interest to the majority - but it suited the particular circumstances I had in moving over from DCC track power to radio control. Rather than replacing the wiring and point motors, I sought (and found) a way of operating my hard-to-reach turnouts by radio control.

Blog: - http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-i-operate-some-of-my-points-by.html
Video - https://youtu.be/4OKB1ixNRu0

Rik

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely fascinating. Some thing interesting and a bit different. Well done Rik.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I agree, very interesting. I may be able to do away with my tethered point controller with your idea.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
GAP said:
Is it only for LGB point motors or will it work on others?
Good question. We programmed the Picaxe to send a reversible pulse of current. After some experimentation, I found a half second pulse was sufficient - other types of motor might prefer more time and of course a tortoise motor would want as long as it takes the motor to shift the blades. All that would be dead easy to arrange (just changing the length of the PAUSE statement in the procedure for each point before turning off the motor).

For three-wire solenoid point motors (eg the old LGB motors, H&M, Peco etc), the program, the relay board and the connections to the point motors would have to be changed. You'd also need a larger Picaxe with more outputs (two outputs for each point motor as opposed to one). I think you could get away with the same number of DPST relays (ie 6), but I'd have to work out the logistics. The programming would actually be slightly different as there wouldn't be a need for the reversing relay, but it would be doable and not that difficult to implement.

Rik

PS - With reference to another thread (https://www.gscalecentral.net/index.php?topic=301846.0), it would also be possible to program in point status indicator LEDs if you wanted them. Not really needed on the handset/transmitter though as the position of the switch indicates which way the point is switched.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can see this working as a Signal Box Mimic. Each Switch would be mounted like Point Levers with a number. Then with a Diagram to show Normal Route. When a Switch is pulled the Point or Signal changes. After a Train passes they are returned to Normal as in a Real Box. Great stuff.

The reciever built into a secure Dry Building, possibly the Base of a Signal Box with a False Back. When Operating the false Back removed, 'Levers' are placed on top. Ready to run. Only Local Wiring except perhaps a bus if 2 Wires for Power Supply to various Boxes round the line.

Your PS is actually covered by the way the Levers are in a Real Signal Box, though there are indicators not all small fully Manual Boxes have Track Circuits or Complex Point/Signal Indication.

All we now need (us mere numpty mortals that do not understand Deltang) is to pick your and Gregh's Brains on how to do it. Or perhaps some of the links complete the knowledge trail.

Superb concept.
JonD

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
ge_rik said:
Good question. We programmed the Picaxe to send a reversible pulse of current. After some experimentation, I found a half second pulse was sufficient - other types of motor might prefer more time and of course a tortoise motor would want as long as it takes the motor to shift the blades. All that would be dead easy to arrange (just changing the length of the PAUSE statement in the procedure for each point before turning off the motor).

For three-wire solenoid point motors (eg the old LGB motors, H&M, Peco etc), the program, the relay board and the connections to the point motors would have to be changed. You'd also need a larger Picaxe with more outputs (two outputs for each point motor as opposed to one). I think you could get away with the same number of DPST relays (ie 6), but I'd have to work out the logistics. The programming would actually be slightly different as there wouldn't be a need for the reversing relay, but it would be doable and not that difficult to implement.

Rik

PS - With reference to another thread (https://www.gscalecentral.net/index.php?topic=301846.0), it would also be possible to program in point status indicator LEDs if you wanted them. Not really needed on the handset/transmitter though as the position of the switch indicates which way the point is switched.

When you say 3 wire solenoid point motors are you talking about something similar to the old PECO point motors used in HO?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
GAP said:
When you say 3 wire solenoid point motors are you talking about something similar to the old PECO point motors used in HO?
Yes - that it, and the beefy Hammant & Morgan ones which predated them

Rik