Decoder suggestions please

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Morning All,
I'm currently in the process of stripping an early Stainz loco for DCC operation. However I fear the decoder I have won't be up to the job as it was designed for a smaller gauge.

The LGB 55021 decoder is obsolete and there don't appear to be any used ones available. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative?
I've looked on the DCC Concepts site and found their 'Buddha' decoder which has sufficient current capacity; what are your thoughts?

Thank you,
Les.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That should be fine. - I assume you are stripping out all the original boards, and will wire directly into the new decoder?

Dependent on the age of your loco, there may be sockets on the existing board for a decoder? - I believe the Massoth equivalent to fit is still available? - This of course, would plug-in to the original board.

Reactions: 1 user

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
That should be fine. - I assume you are stripping out all the original boards, and will wire directly into the new decoder?

Dependent on the age of your loco, there may be sockets on the existing board for a decoder? - I believe the Massoth equivalent to fit is still available? - This of course, would plug-in to the original board.
Sadly there isn’t an existing board with sockets so I intend to strip everything out.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
Use a Mossoth eMotion L decoder it is the LGB 55021 you can get one from Garden rail outlet

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For less $$ than the LGB 55021 decoder, Zimo sells a wired MX645 which is smaller than the 55021 and has sound, 6 functions, 3 watt audio, 1.2 amps, and can operate 2 servos plus has 1 input sense line that can be used for chuff or use back emf for chuff. I use these and program a servo to do remote uncoupling. via a standard servo and kadee coupler tied together with jewerly chain. ALso there is a P22 version which is rated at 1.8 amps. Trainli also has a hook and loop style kit uncoupler unit. Or just get the Kadee uncoupler, but I find I can do 4 servo/standard Kadee's for the cost of one Kadee uncoupler.

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Best answers
Country flag
For less $$ than the LGB 55021 decoder, Zimo sells a wired MX645 which is smaller than the 55021 and has sound, 6 functions, 3 watt audio, 1.2 amps, and can operate 2 servos plus has 1 input sense line that can be used for chuff or use back emf for chuff. I use these and program a servo to do remote uncoupling. via a standard servo and kadee coupler tied together with jewerly chain. ALso there is a P22 version which is rated at 1.8 amps. Trainli also has a hook and loop style kit uncoupler unit. Or just get the Kadee uncoupler, but I find I can do 4 servo/standard Kadee's for the cost of one Kadee uncoupler.
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at a few suppliers for the Zimo and found, unfortunately it's around £20 more expensive than the Massoth equivalent of the LGB decoder.
Les.