Decoder needed for FB-1 units?

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Hello! I have four Aristocraft FA-1 Alco locomotives that each have a decoder installed, and they all work fine. I would like to run the corresponding FB-1 units behind them, but the FB-1 units are all currently simply DC track powered.

Each of these Aristocraft FA-1's and FB-1's has a motor switch in the back to turn them on or off to track power. Light and smoke (fan) functions are also controlled by ON/OFF switches.

To run the FB-1's behind the FA-1's using DCC power, do I:

1) put a decoder matching the FA-1 decoder into the corresponding FB-1, or
2) do I simply turn the FB-1 motor switch off and run it as a dummy unit behind the FA-1? If I choose this option, can I at least run any lights on the FB-1 using the DC track power?

My concern is that running the FB-1's as dummy units might add a lot of drag to the FA-1 units, but I am not running consists; just a loco, FB-1, and some freight/box cars or passenger cars.

Thanks!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have any Aristo locos (LGB and Piko), but I would go for option 1, i.e. fit a second decoder with the same address to the B units

With option 2, switching off the motor might lock up the wheels. You can't mix DC and DCC power on the same track. But you can run a DCC loco on DC with a DC B unit. I would not advise running a DC motor on DCC; you will hear a high frequency buzz if you do and it might harm the motor on the B unit....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As Gizzy says,
Don't just drag the B units round..

A second decoder would be best..

IF you are sure that your existing A units have a very conservatively rated decoder, it *might* be possible to turn track power off on the B unit, and feed the motors from the A unit.
But,
Knowing there are multiple motors in both units, I would not really recommend this.

PhilP

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Gizzy and PhilP! I will opt to put decoders into each FB-1 unit.

Each of the FA-1 units
currently have TCS WOW 501 diesel decoders. Do I:

1) have to use the same exact decoder in each FB-1 unit, or
2) do I at least need to stick to the same brand and rating as the FA-1's (they are all rated at 5 amps). In other words, could I use a non-sound TCS decoder rated at 5 amps, or
3) could I use any brand/amperage of decoder?

Thanks,

Lou D

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Also, do each of the decoders need to be on the exact same address as the FA-1's?

If this is so, I would suppose, for example, any lighting function wired into F3 on both units would light at the same time when the appropriate button is pushed on the ProCab controller, yes?

BTW, I have an NCE PH-10-r wireless controller system.

Thanks again,

Lou D

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to Gizzy and PhilP! I will opt to put decoders into each FB-1 unit.

Each of the FA-1 units
currently have TCS WOW 501 diesel decoders. Do I:

1) have to use the same exact decoder in each FB-1 unit, or
2) do I at least need to stick to the same brand and rating as the FA-1's (they are all rated at 5 amps). In other words, could I use a non-sound TCS decoder rated at 5 amps, or
3) could I use any brand/amperage of decoder?

Thanks,

Lou D
I would go with option 2....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Also, do each of the decoders need to be on the exact same address as the FA-1's?

If this is so, I would suppose, for example, any lighting function wired into F3 on both units would light at the same time when the appropriate button is pushed on the ProCab controller, yes?

BTW, I have an NCE PH-10-r wireless controller system.

Thanks again,

Lou D
You could use different addresses and set up for Consisting which is possible but complicated on my Massoth 1200Z.

But I would Keep It Simple & Stupid (KISS principle) and use the same address on both decoders, treating the A/B combination as a single loco....

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use Zimo decoders and with this decoder you can run both the A and B from a single decoder as it is rated at 6 amps and can withstand a 10 amp surge. When adding an extra motor to a decoder you split the current draw between both engines. So measure the current of a single engine and if it is less than 2.5 amps you will have plenty of power for the 4 motors and never have a consisting issue. Change lights to LEDS to reduce power also.
Also to save $$, place one A unit decoder in the B without a decoder. Make the second pair of AB run off a single decoder.

14Justinian7

Registered
26 Aug 2023
Charlotte, NC
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! So you are saying in the case of just using a single decoder you wire both the A and B units to the same decoder?

If this is so, then are you passing wires from the B unit to the decoder in the A unit, and so the wires would traverse over the knuckle couplers to get to the decoder in the A unit?

Also, would both the track power and motor power wires from the B unit need to go to the A unit decoder, or just the motor power wires?

Thanks,

Lou D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It would be prudent to pass both track and motor wires between the two units, in my opinion.

This would help with pickup, though the individual units are long enough that they should straddle any marginal track-power problems?

PhilP