decoder in LGB Tram 22355

hpilot2

Registered
20 Oct 2011
Best answers
hi all, I believe this topic has been covered before, just can't find it...
I have a LGB works tram, #22355... it has 'direct decoder' on the gear box & when I open it up, the circuit board has 9 pins to except the LGB 55021 decoder. I have a spare NCE D408SR decoder [I'm not going to bother with sound in this tram] but I'm unsure of where the NCE wires go. I'd appreciate any assistance with this. cheers Bruce

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Bruce,
as the NCE decoder has no facility to reduce light voltage, I would discard the stock board and rewire the tram. Pinouts are listed on the NCE decoder information instructions and pin info for the equivalent Massoth 'L' decoder may be found on the Massoth website. The Massoth 'L' uses the same pin connections as the LGB type 1 decoder, #55021.
Personally, I would simply use the Massoth type 'L' decoder as light voltage may be reduced and the decoder is a direct install. I would save the NCE for a loco requiring the 4/8 amp capacity of the NCE decoder. I do like the 4 amp NCE decoder.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Bruce,
glad to see you made it over here after your query on the NCE Yahoo group!

Tim raises some good points regarding the option to simply rip out the existing wiring and re-do it yourself, that can be worthwile.

I forgot to mention over on the NCE group that the D408SR is rather overkill for an LGB tram, but on the other hand if it's sitting around doing nothing then might as well use it. However, if your board is "Direct Decoder" then it is a simple process to flip a few DIP switches and plug in a 55021 or a Massoth L.

hpilot2

Registered
20 Oct 2011
Best answers
thanks Tim & Nick... I'll go for the option of using the Massoth L decoder... makes sense, & I'll use the NCE decoder later once I get more experience fitting decoders. thanks again guys. cheers Bruce