Decoder I.D. info required

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Awaiting my new DCC system, I used my LGB 55045 decoder programming module to read the decoder info on my Deutsche Post Sprinter, to gain some DCC 'experience'.

The decoder I.D. comes up as ME-V 3.0 (integrated decoder small). At top of programming page following details, Company code 123/version 3.0 (X'52'). I am seeking to find if this is a LGB #55020, 55021, 55022 (most likely) or later 55027 decoder (hardly likely?).

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
If it comes up with integrated small its probably an LGB small on-board decoder. Part of the main PCB. It is similar to a 55021 but not removable.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mike,
many thanks. After posting my question I disassembled the Sprinter to add power pickups to the trailing truck, plus leads to power a LGB #65002 European diesel digital sound decoder box and noticed that the decoder is extremely small and appears to be the only circuit board in the loco. The brochure supplied with the unit states that it has a 'memory' to power the loco over dirty track sections plus back EMF. I could not believe how small the board was.

A caution with the board states that sound should not be connected. I am assuming this means not connecting a sound board to the decoder. I will be adding a totally separate sound decoder, so believe that I am not contradicting the warning on not using sound. Further to above, as both decoders will have the same address, then I assume I will need to program the sound decoder (#65002) prior to installation, so as not to alter the start voltage setting on the motor decoder. Obviously, I want the sound to startup and idle prior to moving off.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If fitting a sound decoder like the LS (or XLS), I would remove the LGB chip and use it elsewhere?

Seems pointless to double up on decoders.

If using the LGB 65002 unit as you've mentioned, then this can be set to the same address as the decoder chip. I know this as I recoded the chip in a V52 to address 08, but the sound stayed on address 03. Bigjack set it right for me on his Massoth system....

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Tim You are correct you can power the 65xxx sound unit off the track supply so you don't overload the decoder. I used this method in my Harz 2-6-2 and I programmed it separately, like you suggest, as it didn't start at the same time as the loco which just sounded wierd. Like you say you can set the sprinter to start a fraction later by setting the start voltage so it appears to rev up first.
I powered it using the plug on the back of the cab.

500e01f8377e4e02afa672b84135d9a5.jpg

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I attached the LGB #55045 programming module to my green Frank 'S' and read out LGB type 1 decoders fitted to both engine and powered tender. Any potential pitfalls with this early decoder or is it destined for the scrap bin? Strange that the supplied literature still has this loco as analogue and yet it has two decoders and the factory digital sticker on the loco drive unit. The box also has a large 'D' digital sticker.

Also, to my surprise, I found that my LGB #23191 undec Mogul is also digital. A readout of the CV's has it as an integrated large decoder. Any details on this please. I am unable to turn on load compensation. I assume that this is back EMF. Strange that the smaller decoders support back EMF. Also, I removed the #65011 sound storage capacitor pack and reset the LGB #65001 American steam digital sound unit that I fitted some years ago, to factory defaults. I will need to play with the start voltage to get standing sounds and chuff synch reasonable when on DCC. I had it matched when on analogue but now this may be a problem. Both decoders set to same address .

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The Frank S was built as an analogue loco but LGB used them to ofload their surplus type 1 decoders. They were then sold as digital locos. The Black 21261 also had the type ! decoders added before they left the factory.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Mike,
many thanks. My black Frank 'S' was made in late '97 and is still analogue (tender power connector required to run it), so was obviously pre the type 1 decoder clean out day.