Decking lengths for track

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ross. That sounds like the price for thin lightweight decking - about 4 inch x 3/4 inch. Which may warp. or else its a good offer.
Decking from my timber merchant is £1.77 a metre but that is 6 x 1&half inch. 4.8 metre lengths only.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
Decking lengths for laying track on. Anybody used it. At the FOCUS DIY store price of about £3.50 for a 3m length seems good value and a firm foundation if sunk into the ground..or raised on pillars about a foot high. Anybody??

Thanks.

Shop around before buying.
I have used it but it has only been down for around 18 months so too soon to know if it will be stable but judging from other layouts it should be OK.
The main issue is warping and it is difficult to know which boards are warp free. I used mainly B&Q but Wickes had some good value decking a couple of months ago and they claim that it is stable.
Sight along each length as you select it and make sure it is straight and not 'dished' across its width.
Take care if you buy from more than one source because the thickness can vary too.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We have used decking on the Ruschbahn and on my own line I have used Wooden Gravel Boards (from Wicks). Both work fine if you make them up to to a U (well not actually a U) by using 2 boards for each length of baseboard. RIP the second one and use the 1/2's to make up a Half Box (U) section with Skrews. Cover with Roofing felt and you have something that should last for years and years.

Another option is to get hold of Plastic Decking, this stuff is everlasting. Special requirements for cutting tools. But slow work with a hand saw will be fine. You can also use this in DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE GROUND. So it is a good, but not as cheep option. But when you look at the amount you are going to use it does not work out that bad. Certainly cheaper than concrete ground level foundations (and easier on the back). You would still need to think about additional support for an above ground installation.

Search on Google for Plastic Decking. The link below is one of many that I found just now:-
http://www.timbertechuk.co.uk/composite-decking?gclid=CKrr2sjb_p4CFU0B4wodtGTfIQ < Link To http://www.timbertechuk.c...2sjb_p4CFU0B4wodtGTfIQ

Good Luck and let us know how you got on.
JonD

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have used decking board from wickes, they sometimes have it on offer. Its the heavier type and to date (2years) no problem with warping or twisting. It varies in hight running on a gradient from about 18" to ground level set on 2x2, above that hight I used 3x3. Where it approaches ground level I cut a small trench set the metposts in that pot in posts ans decking then put small logroll attached to side of decking to keep soil off .