Decking Help

E

Elmtree Line

<p> </p><p>Hi Guys.</p><p>I have about 15sq metres of decking thats been down circa 5yrs, it was stained i reckon when it went down originally but now needs some TLC.</p><p>I've been painting the other garden woodwork with Roseal indoor and outdoor woodstain which is nice and gloupy and thick and is a stain and varnish in one, i like the product!</p><p>The cost of potentially using the above product is way out of reach, its about &pound;12 for one litre.
</p><p>I now want to look at covering the decking, i have been led to believe that the "Spray On" products are pretty thin and don't really give a good layer of protection unless you go over more than once? so my question is would i be best in getting a shops own brand product and slapping it down with a big fence brush or can you recommend something else?</p><p>Over to you guys :D</p><p>Keith.</p><p> </p>

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
For my summer house i stick engin oil in the cheap stuff but this could be very intresting on the floor :rofl: ,

Maybe you should take a look at Focus

:rofl:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
<p>You could try Wilkinsons they usually do Cuprinol at a price well below the DIY stores. Not sure if they have their own decking preservative.</p><p>B&Q own brand has a good reputation and it is well below &pound;12L.</p><p>I have used both products in the past and they performed well.</p><p>I am not a fan of the spray-on products , in my experience they don't penetrate.</p>

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Use an oil based preservative. If it says clean brushes with water, then the rain will clean it off your deck!
Rot is a fungal growth - so plant frendly products are not ging to be a lot of use are they?
I use 'Wickes' Timber and fence preserver - about £12 for 5 litres. Note - slippery when first applied.

E

Elmtree Line

I thought all garden products had to be water based by law now ?

No rot on the decking, its in good nick, just needs protecting :)

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
I've had decking on my pond filter beds (an area of approx 5 sq yds) for the last twenty years without any sort of preservative (obviously to avoid poisoning the fish ;) ) and it still in very good condition without any rot. The only maintenance I do is to power wash it once (at most twice) a year. This gets rid of minor mould growth and stops the surface becoming too slippy. Were your boards tanalised when purchased? - if so I'd just be concerned about colour matching rather than preserving the wood. :D

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
first pressure was it really thoroughly to remove all the microscopic growth on the surface. it will stop it being slippy. then apply a preservative that stops biological growth. it will look nice and not slip for years. don't just cover it without pressure washing.. that's my thoughts anyway!

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Elmtree Line - 29/11/2009 5:42 PM

I thought all garden products had to be water based by law now ?

No - there are still many oil/solvent based products on the market and they are much better than the cheap water based fence paint. Have a look in B&Q or similar. If it doesn't say wash brushes with water its most likely an oil/solvent based prduct. There advantage is they soak in to the wood rather than putting a pretty coating on the surface.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
You could try Collins Cash and Carry on Ascot rd., Bobbers Mill, Nottingham. You don't have to be trade to be a member and joining is free. It's a bit of a big maze when you get inside and you have to walk your way through it. I bought a big bucket of Cuprinol type stuff for fences, sheds and decking for just a few quid. Last year I bought a big box of cans of butane for my live steamer - worked out at 55 pence per tin! I think you have to add VAT to the marked prices.

Cheers,

John

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
If the decking has been tanalised then preservative will not penetrate the wood. It needs to be left two or three years + before treatment

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
Woderwick - 30/11/2009 8:37 AM Penetration is everything.
</p><p>That's where I've been going wrong:rofl: :rofl: </p>

E

Elmtree Line

I believe the decking was tanalised and was covered with a darkish stain or maybe even fence-care product when it was put down which has pretty much all gone, probably as suggested as fence-care products are not designed to have traffic over them.

I like the finish that Ronseal indoor & outdoor (pic shown) gives, but its expensive, what would give a similar finish to the decking and last ?

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
<p>
Elmtree Line - 30/11/2009 11:51 AM I believe the decking was tanalised and was covered with a darkish stain or maybe even fence-care product when it was put down which has pretty much all gone, probably as suggested as fence-care products are not designed to have traffic over them. I like the finish that Ronseal indoor & outdoor (pic shown) gives, but its expensive, what would give a similar finish to the decking and last ?
</p><p>if you use that stuff it will be like an ice rink :( :(
</p>

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That stuff is for front doors. You want

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
They do stuff labelled especially for decking - but its much the same and costs more.

fisherman6

Garden railways, Fishing. My work Shop
19 Dec 2009
Walpole St Peter, Nofolk
Best answers
Do not know if you are still looking, But Cuprinol Clear decking protector is a good product.

this can be purchased from Screwfix at a cost of £23.99 per 5lt this will cover 8m's per lt.