Deck girder bridge from steel

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
Hi All, I have started experimenting with CNC laser cutting to build steel bridges. I have taken a simple deck girder design with walkways on each side. I put the design into AutoCAD and got the elements cut from 1 mm steel. Pieces are joined by bits and holes that slot into each other. I soldered my first design and used steel glue for the second model. After it was simple spray painted with primer and matt grey Plasticote paint from B&Q.

These are some of the pieces staight from the cut shop. This is from my first design, cut from mild steel. Second bridge was from galvanized steel
IMG_4342.jpg

Starting to take shape
IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

Jumping couple of months in time. Assembled, glued, painted with decking:
IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

Class 66 is not the best for this particular bridge. It was designed for LGB or 16mm, it is around 1:20. The handrail is overscale to the 1:29 engine.

Currently I am looking for the next potential prototypes. Do you have a favorite steel bridge?
I personally prefer under-deck bridges as it leaves the train unobscured. So any through arch bridge, under-deck truss or truss arch bridge?

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Wow thats brilliant :clap:

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That is awesome! Where did you go to have the machining done? How much did it cost? If you could get them to make the bits again I'd more than likely be willing to buy a kit from you!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Can you do something like this please.
834420795cb74dd7a54bccd233ccb3ad.jpg

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
That is awesome! Where did you go to have the machining done? How much did it cost? If you could get them to make the bits again I'd more than likely be willing to buy a kit from you!

Cor thats rather splendid and I also may be interested in a kit

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
We would not like any one to find them sub standard so i will put my self forward to try one free of charge just to be sure .

No need to thank me guys its a cross i have to bare :clap:

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice work :clap:

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers Richie:rofl:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Personal favourite (sniffle)

4c1ce9de75a446e1b230fce25cae0979.jpg

If you do produce a kit - at the right price - put me down as interested of Luxembourg (no class clickety-click though). I mean your box bridge, mind you if you can do Friargate I think there are a few here that would fight to get one. :rofl:
:D

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Great looking bridge!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderful job - the possibilities are endless!

Mick

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
That's superb.

Glen Wyllin viaduct on our little island would be a nice prototype......

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Nice and you beat me to it.

I am moving on from the plastic stuff and you may well see something similar in a bit in stainless steel. The slotting of the bits is always a key, nice job that man.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
This is as far as I got initially 1.29 as an idea, I must say i do like you idea of a sheet side and I may copy that.
Time is the issue tho, the alser is always busy. Once again, well done, good economic use of the cutting too.

girders.jpg

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
nicebutdim said:

I got the parts cut by LaserProcess (up in Birmingham). It cose me just under 100 quid with shipping. My models are in 1:32 and the reason I designed this in 1:20 to sell it either as a kit or as a ready made. I have issues with painting (how and where) but I can certanly produce some kits. Let's discuss offline.

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
Woderwick said:
This is as far as I got initially 1.29 as an idea, I must say i do like you idea of a sheet side and I may copy that.
Time is the issue tho, the alser is always busy. Once again, well done, good economic use of the cutting too.
This is how I design the structure:
http://nygma.hu/dl/20.274.001_Component_List.pdf

As you can see the cross sections extend all the way up to the handrails. There is also a wide brace at the bottom to ensure that it keeps it shape. Longitudinal sections are made from one peice. This makes the bridge fairly strong. Make sure that you always design the holes slightly larger than the bits. I added 0.1 mm in each side.
I learned a lot from my first design and it is ont easy to get it right for the first time.

nygma

Registered
31 Oct 2010
Budapest, Hungary
Best answers
stockers said:
Can you do something like this please.

Not impossible. I have to study it further. Where is it exactly?