decent power unit.

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
Hi Guys
I am looking to convert most of my current LGB stock from line power to RC/battery power. Having played around with a chassis or two it seems that the standard Stainz and other LGB 0-4-0 locos need a lot of power to do anything useful. This means a very simple [and relatively low cost] battery wagon or two and a simple plug to socket mod on each loco. I have been experimenting with a stainz and the little diesel playtrain, both of which are running quite happily on 7.2 volt RC control so long as they are not expected to actually pull anything. Oddly it makes no difference in my location if I use an AM 27mHz RC unit or the 40mHz/70cms/4gHz gear. Can't see any difference :) beautiful smooth running

The problem is obviously going to be the gross battery power. I have several brand new 12V 3.00AH sealed lead acid security alarm type batteries [ex model boat uncompleted project] and will probably use those next. However the weight of the damn things is quite substantial compared to NIMH AA packs which at half the amps and more than twice the price don't exactly seem ideal either.

Knowing this subject has probably been done to death before, I am keen to find the the latest simple, easy and most cost effective solution possible so any input based on experience would be greatly appreciated.

Used to be a brilliant thread on GSM but seems it got lost in the mists of time.

Cheers.

Roy H

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
You may want to search in the Battery Power section for data on Lithium-Ion batteries (vastly superior to any other type in terms of size/power ratio) and the Cliff Barker radio control system. Just enter the search phrase in the box top right of the screen. If you intend to convert a lot of locos which have room internally for batteries (unlike the Stainz), you may want to consider waiting for the Massoth DRC300 system, due out this autumn. There is a cost spreadsheet to be done with all these systems, but, as ever, you tend to get what you pay for, at least in terms of elegance and ease of use.