DECAL PRINTING ADVICE

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
However..printing white ink is still not available on inkjets. There are ways around this problem. Just have to "surf" to find the answers.

One answer is to buy white base decal paper - the only problem is you may then need to cut the subject out with nail scissors - or as I did, print a close match to the final surface colour as background. After applying and drying I sprayed with Dullcote and they have weathered pretty well (Epson Stylus Phot 1290 Inkjet)

Regards
Rob

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Useful advice for those with laser printers (or who can get at them at work...) I've got a (Canon) inkjet, but I haven't noticed any advice from either Canon or the decal paper manufacturer as to what printer setting should be employed to provide optimum ink delivery - e.g. plain paper, gloss, matt, high definition paper, &c. I crossed my fingers and used the latter, while remembering that if you put photo paper in the wrong way up (and think which way up the paper travels - either straight through or through 180 degrees) you get a right messy outcome. It worked.
Going back to the point in the earlier thread about the image "disappearing" I understand that inkjets don't print white but that was why I opted for yellow lettering for black locos, hence my mystification when the lettering just became invisible as it hit the black surface.

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
I've been working on my Galloping Goose 'bash' this weekend which included creating a white goose logo transfer - I thought it might show how an Inkjet White waterslide transfer appeared on a dark background....

1. I captured the original logo from the RGRR Galloping Goose webpage
2. Increased the resolution from 96 to 300dpi in Paint Shop Pro, then cleaned up the pixel blocks.
3. Duplicated and mirrored one of the images and resized them to fit the wagon area

799f194d7a2f4cb89d73edcd6d031761.jpg

4. After drying time I sprayed with Testors All Purpose Dullcote and again waited for the coating to dry.

5. After 20 minutes I cut them to approx size, immersed them in warm water (one at a time of course)
and applied them to the wagon side.As I mentioned above, to hide the white edges I try to get a reasonable background match to the wagon colour I'm using.

8f93a982c23344358086ba35b4e28210.jpg

6. After removing the excess moisture, pressing the transfer into any grooves, etc. and allowing good drying time, I started the weathering/matching process... to be completed later (n.b. the transfer isn't damaged even with overspray cleaning with white spirit - I want the paint runs in the groves to imply wear & tear but they would clean completely if required)

95a6dd8c5acd4eeca10eda268c81fde1.jpg

Hope this will give you some idea of the results using the white backed transfer material - I find the best setting on Epson Inkjet printer is Photo Quality Glossy Film

Regards
Rob

34e42e25c9334f15b2463cdb26da15be.jpg

parkes682decals

Registered
19 Oct 2010
Best answers
Hi there
I have a A4 "White" inkjet printer- its world first white inkjet printer.
So you dont have look now more
http://www.parkes682decals.piczo.com/ < Link To www.parkes682decals.piczo.com
have a look right down at the bottom of the page
Paul

Martyn W

Registered
10 Oct 2010
Best answers
I have used "Crafty Computer Paper" http://www.gscalecentral.net/www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk < Link To www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk to produce various inkjet lettering for my 1/29 scale freight cars, they do clear and white decal film as well as "Klarlack" clear matt or gloss sealing varnish (Acrylic I think). Once printed, sealed and applied I have oversprayed different completed models with both Humbrol Acrylic and enamel varnishes and found the results excellent (like all decals they are best applied onto GLOSSY surfaces). Prices are very reasonable too.

parkes682decals

Registered
19 Oct 2010
Best answers
Hi All
Ive just done some "White" lettering for one of the members for a Bus have a look at my decals may be i can help.Its in new members section
parkes682decals
Paul