Dead (?) MTS2 central station, what to do?

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
If it were me, I think I'd still plump for the £80 serial one at Glendale, it would get you going until you're in a position to look at a serious upgrade.

The nice chap at Glendale now has £80 of my money, and there's a MTS II serial central station on it's way to me. I'm rubbish at haggling so didn't even bother trying to squeeze the price down! As soon as that arrives, I'm going to set up a oval of track on the patio, and see if I can get my head around how all this digital stuff works :D

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Quite simple once you have been using it for a while..
I'm still finding new things on my massoth system..
Have fun! :clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with it all, Mike - hope you enjoy it. You might find these links useful for downloading LGB instruction booklets, if you don't have them with the old kit you've inherited:
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...gbdb.info/index.php?sessionid=e...f&l=english < Link To http://www.gbdb.info/inde...id=e...f&l=english

Best,
Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mikesilky said:
The nice chap at Glendale now has £80 of my money, and there's a MTS II serial central station on it's way to me. I'm rubbish at haggling so didn't even bother trying to squeeze the price down! As soon as that arrives, I'm going to set up a oval of track on the patio, and see if I can get my head around how all this digital stuff works :D
I'm new to the MTS 2 set up too, but if you have any questions, ask away on the forum and I and others will help....

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
So, my new central station turned up last Saturday. I laid out a short 10ft run of track on the patio, connected everything up, put one of the locos (a Stainz) on the track, and tried to get the loco to move. Not a sausage!

Took the Stainz off the track, put the other loco (black and red DR 99 6001 steam engine) on, set the controller to loco number one, turned the speed up, and it spluttered into life! Hurrah!

Unfortunately work then intervened, and I've not had chance to play around since, but it's almost the weekend now and my four year old and two year old helpers are keen to have a go tomorrow!

One thing that I learnt within about two minutes of my first running session - dirty track really does make it difficult to run trains! I'm going to have to give the track a real good clean-up at some point..

I've tried the Stainz with the power supply that came with the Bachmann Thomas set, the directional headlights work but it doesn't move, so I think there's something fairly badly wrong with it. Might have to take it to a shop at some point to get it looked at.

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, and incidentally, I'm glad I bought the central station from Glendale rather than bidding on the one on eBay - the eBay auction finished at £84 including postage, only £3 less than I paid!

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
mikesilky said:
I've tried the Stainz with the power supply that came with the Bachmann Thomas set, the directional headlights work but it doesn't move, so I think there's something fairly badly wrong with it. Might have to take it to a shop at some point to get it looked at.
I apologise in advance if this is too basic a suggestion, but have you checked the 3 way switch in the cab of the Stainz to make sure it hasn't been isolated?

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
I apologise in advance if this is too basic a suggestion, but have you checked the 3 way switch in the cab of the Stainz to make sure it hasn't been isolated?

No need to apologise! Originally, I hadn't checked the switch. In fact, I didn't even know there was one!

I downloaded a manual for the Stainz, read the manual and got all excited when I read about the switch, thinking that it could be the problem. I bounded over to the engine, checked the switch, and unfortunately the switch was in the right position to supply power to the motor :(

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
mikesilky said:
yb281 said:

No need to apologise! Originally, I hadn't checked the switch. In fact, I didn't even know there was one!

I downloaded a manual for the Stainz, read the manual and got all excited when I read about the switch, thinking that it could be the problem. I bounded over to the engine, checked the switch, and unfortunately the switch was in the right position to supply power to the motor :(
Oh well, worth a try :D.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Mike, did you get the PM regarding my proposition for the duff central station?

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Mike, did you get the PM regarding my proposition for the duff central station?

Yes I did, thanks, but I completely forgot to reply! Sorry!

I'll get back to you later this evening.