DCC Automatic Station Stop

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to set up an automatic station stop with a DCC layout? I used to have this on my analog system and it was alot of fun. I run an NCE PH Pro 10 amp system. Currently all of my decoders are ESU Loksound XL v.4.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think you will find how (if) this is implemented is 'manufacturer-specific'?

As i don't 'do' either, NCE or ESU, I can't comment further.. :(

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Many decoders support the ABC (Automatic Braking Control) invented by Lenz.

Basically you make asymmetric DCC and then the loco will slow to a stop.

Many adjustable parameters.

Read this, you will see how the "asymmetric" DCC signal is done with a few diodes, making one of the "voltages" higher than the other...

Zimo does this too.

Greg
I know this is an option that could be triggered with a magnet for ESU, the trouble is once the locomotive stops im not sure how I would have it start again after a time delay.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There's even more features in decoders, so you might read through the manual and see what features there are in your particular decoder.

It also depends how you want to automate things.

In the diagram I linked, you can "bypass" the "asymmetry" circuit and I think it will resume, but I'm not an ESU expert.

I'm sure there are way more knowledgeable people here, hopefully they will chime in. I'm interested how people have addressed this too.

If I was to build an automated layout, I think I would use a central computer program, put the "smarts" there in terms of detection, and then decide if I can also incorporate unique features of decoders, or completely automate the detection and motion with the software.

If I just wanted a few things to automate, I'd probably research what my "favorite" decoders could do and perhaps integrate those features.

Greg

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, the asymmetrical waveform generated by the diodes in the link I provided and replicated above is independent of any control system, Massoth, ESU, NCE, etc.

Slowing the train to a stop is done by the decoder.

So how do you start it again? Does the decoder timeout? In the example above, the asymmetry is never turned off. In the link I provided, you can turn it off with a decoder.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Greg