DCC and LEDs

CharlieBear

Registered
7 Apr 2020
Ladybarn
Best answers
Country flag
I have two buffer stops with lantern now if an LED is inserted into the lantern and power taken from the track (20v) I assume the LED will flash (but not noticeable) but I also assume track power will blow the LED how would I get around this?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Two possible ways there may be more. Best bet would be to get a suitable rated LGB Bulb.
Other option would be to make an Ac/Dc converter but even then you would need a resister to reduce the voltage to that of the Diode.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have two buffer stops with lantern now if an LED is inserted into the lantern and power taken from the track (20v) I assume the LED will flash (but not noticeable) but I also assume track power will blow the LED how would I get around this?

Yes, in theory, it will 'flash', but the frequency is such that you will not notice it..

It is frowned upon, to reverse-bias a LED (for the half-cycle it is 'off') but it should not do any damage.
You need to limit the current through the LED.. A 1K resistor should be adequate for this. - You can vary this, a little, if the LED is too dim or too bright.

If you are making the LED brighter, then you are increasing the current through it, so it would eventually fail if you reduce the resistor value too much.
Without knowing the specifications of your LED's, I would not go below 820 ohms. - Brighter.. It is better to use a 'high-intensity' LED that can be run at a lower current, then over-drive a standard LED.
To make the LED dimmer: Try values of 1.5 - 2.7 K.

K = kilo-ohm (1K = 1000 ohms)

HTH?

PhilP.

CharlieBear

Registered
7 Apr 2020
Ladybarn
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks PhilP and Jon
I'll give it a go with the LED on the basis that if it works it shouldn't need replacing.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
In large scale, 1k resistor is only good for the 20ma led. you need 2K (2.2k is better) for a 10ma led!!!! And this assumes a 3 volt led. I go slightly higher with my resistors as I have a dcc system with 25 volts at the track.