"Cylinder smoke" with latest smoke units.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to control the cylinder smoke independently of the chimney smoke?
It would appear not as the "cylinder smoke" feature, where available, consists of a pair of flexible tubes leading from the smoke units exhaust.
I'm fairly sure that, on real steam locos, the cylinder cocks are only opened if there's a chance of water in the cylinders, e.g. on starting from rest with cold cylinders. The steam could condense and, in the extreme case, the resultant the water cause enough pressure to crack the cylinder casting. Even if I'm mistaken it's very rare to see a train running any distance with the cocks open.
I suspect that the only way I could run a loco fitted with one of the latest smoke units with smoke from the chimney only is to plug the relevant smoke unit holes.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I fitted the massoth pulse smoke unit to one of my Locos. after adding the tubes for the cylinder smoke I found I got less smoke out the stack on my Loco. So I just joined the two outputs for cylinder smoke together with the shortest pipe I could . I did think about adding some small working taps, similar to what you find on air lines in fish tanks. After thinking about it for awhile I decided not to try it, as I would end up turning them off to maximise the Stack smoke and would probally never turn them back on again at the appropiate times :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mine just has a single tank and heating element in it, the only control for the cylinder smoke was not to open the holes and fit the pipes, once done then there was no control. This was three years ago so I don't know if they have changed the Massoth pulsed units since then.

Pulsed Smoker for round Boilers 8415001 was the version I used.

Last edited: