CV1 change

silvestrob

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Italy
Best answers
Hello,

I'm in trouble with a coach light decoder. When I'm trying to change address modify the CV1 (set as per default to 3) I can't turn on functions. It seems that the decoder has a wrong address.

Unfortunately I can't understand which is the problem.

Hope some of you can help me to understand where I'm wrong.
Thanks

Attachments

• 83602013.pdf
    262.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 83602013_cvwerte.pdf
    421.9 KB · Views: 0

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest you attempt to read CV1 and CV29 and check they are set to the the "standard" value shown in the pdf document.
If you can't read them then there may be a problem with the decoder or DCC equipment you are using.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As Niels says, try reading CV1 and CV29. If bit 5 of CV29 is set then it will be using long addresses (as defined by CVs 17 & 18).

This decoder has a programming lock......using CV15 & CV16. Try setting CV15 to 245. Then you may be able to read and change other CVs.

If that does not work, try resetting the programming lock do default, by writing 16 to CV7.
You can also reset the decoder (including the address) to defaults..... Setting CV7 to 11 will reset the address to 3

silvestrob

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Italy
Best answers
Are you using service mode or POM? What is your DCC system?
Hi, I’m using massoth 1200Z on programming track.
The matter is that the decoder accept the new address on CV1 but after new programming no functions work.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sometimes you have to remove power from the decoder for a minute after programming.... so program it, and then lift it off the track.

Since it is on the programming track, you should also be able to read CV1, please do so to see if you really did change the address

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Did you use the "CV Read/Write" or the "Loco Address" function to change the "address" of the decoder (CV1)?

If you used "Loco Address" it could have mucked up some other CVs on a non-Massoth decoder.....if this is the case I would suggest you reset it (as described previously) and try again using the "CV Read/Write" option.

silvestrob

Registered
8 Nov 2019
Italy
Best answers
Thanks to all for support. I've solved the issue.
I've spoken with the producer and he told me that address between 99 and 127 are prohibited - no reference about this in the manual .
I tried to modify the CV1 value in that range.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, you were trying to use a short address in the "overlap" space between short and long addresses, often decoders will not go over 2 digit addressing.

Sure would have been nice to put that restriction in the manual.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, you were trying to use a short address in the "overlap" space between short and long addresses, often decoders will not go over 2 digit addressing.

Sure would have been nice to put that restriction in the manual.

Greg
Interesting never yet heard about ‘overlap’ so I had to Google it. For those that are interested this is an interesting piece about the issue of Addresses.

Address Range - DCCWiki

This DCCWiki site looks like an interesting place to go for information, any comments please Greg?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
yep, that is where addresses from 0 to 127 decimal are referred to as 2 digit... 2 hex digits, the most that fits into a single byte..

in general the DCC wiki is ok, but usually not really well written, and not always correct, just like wikipedia.

the overlap is where some people get screwed up setting a short address, but trying to access it as a long address or vice versa.

someone that makes a decoder that uses less than the full range afforded by the standard for a short address should be slapped silly for poor programming, no reason to do this except antique thinking.

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I believe there is a manufacturer that suggests that CV1 is also reserved for setting to either 0 or 1.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to all for support. I've solved the issue.
I've spoken with the producer and he told me that address between 99 and 127 are prohibited - no reference about this in the manual .
I tried to modify the CV1 value in that range.
They're not alone in that. Lenz implements short addresses only in the range 1-99. They assume most people don't know much about hexadecimal notation!