CV changing a Massoth Pulsed Smoker

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
OK Phil, that makes sense.... but then I'm not sure I follow why Sid was having so much difficulty with his? Was it because both the decoders had the same default unlock value, so that is what needs to be changed before you start?

Jon.

I assume the problem was they were both unlocked and the first thing I did was change the value of CV15 which I assume changed both decoders so they both became locked so I could not read either anymore and did not know the CV to change to reset the locks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is one possibility..

Not sure if Massoth have changed the 'action', but in the first iteration of CV locking, you did not get the 'kick' of the motor when unlocking a decoder, and (most) software took this to mean you had not changed the CV value.

If this is still the case, this adds a level of FUD to anyone doing this for the first time, or on several decoders.

I must admit to preferring a physical switch to isolate decoders. - Even if I also use the decoder lock function, to dissuade the changing of things!

Jon,
Each 'model' of decoder from Massoth should have a different default decoder lock value. - So some of their literature mentions changing the value of CV 16 (and hence 15) if you have two of the same model of decoder in a loco / consist.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
By default (i.e upon delivery) all Massoth Decoders are "unlocked", that is CV15 & CV16 have the same value. Thus, you may get bad results reading any CV value in a multi decoder install as all decoders may try and respond to the read operation. Likewise, all decoders will attempt to update the CV value if you attempt a write, however confirmation of that may not be recognised by the programmer as all decoders will try and provide the feedback (though it is said that the CV should be updated regardless).

Regardless of the lock state of the decoder CV15 should always be updated when written to (otherwise you could never unlock the decoder without resetting the lock value using CV7).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Dumb question, when doing the locking or unlocking, more specifically when both decoders could try to respond in service mode (programming track), would it make sense to perform the locking by POM (programming on the main)?

Once you have told one decoder to shut up effectively (or stop listening for anything other than reset or unlock) would that help eliminate "confusion" in service mode?

Greg

p.s. as a separate question, here we use the NMRA standard for DCC, does someone have the link for Europe's standard document?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
p.s. as a separate question, here we use the NMRA standard for DCC, does someone have the link for Europe's standard document?

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but I suspect no such document exists as there is no European standard.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So the NEM standard shadows NMRA DCC and it was interesting reading the part about no backwards compatibility for a lot of the really old stuff.

The reason I asked was a different issue I have often found on European decoders, that of having to remove power briefly after programming a CV.... not in the standard, but common.

Greg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I will ask the next question on the same thread , if you connect a sound module to the Massoth L via the SUSI Interface do I need to tell it it's there or just it just find it ? as you may have guessed I have added one but get no sound. I have added a speaker :)

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks John, I read through that book twice and missed it, well at least it says something in a foreign language now , no idea what it said, but I know it's working, now to find what button does what and then no doubt change it.. :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite a cigar yet, but getting closer, apart from still need to work out where to wire the rear lights and cab light too, the sound card is now in and in theory chuffs to the fitted sensor as that is wired to the smoke unit then the signal out from that is wired to the sound card. so it was testing time.

train 21-06-2019.jpg

But it doesn't quit sound right, when you turn the throttle the smoke get does what it should do and starts to chuff out smoke when the Loco moves. The sound card starts to chuff when you turn the throttle before the Loco moves , then when the Loco moves it adjusts it's chuffs to suit the actual sensor and is then in sink with the smoke unit.

I assume it is CV 935 in the sound card that needs changing to rectify the problem as I assume it is set to automatic and wheel sensor, but I have no idea how to change bits ?

935.jpg

The two red wires dangling with masking tape on the end are the live from the smoke unit sensor output and the live in to the sound board I didn't connect that pair, as the Massoth instructions sort of say you don't connect the Red wire so I didn't :)

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks so just change it to 136 then ?, what a confusing way to set up a CV :)

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps in lieu of teaching base 2 maths, you use a CV calculator:

enter the 1's and zeros in the top box, you can read the decimal value to be "sent" as you type.

Greg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Give a whirl, if it's the result you need, then sorted!

As for BIT's for values for CV's, well that's a story for another time, but suffice to say, it's the conventional way a micro processor (read that as the brains of a decoder) understands 1 and 0, or in human speak ON or OFF...............

Thanks, 136 worked now it just chuffs in time with the sensor :) I didn't explain properly what I meant was all the other CV's control one parameter while CV 935 sets varies parameters rather than each having it's own CV , which is what I meant by a confusing way to set up a CV.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Think of CV 935 as the label on a little drawer..
Pull it out, and there is a panel of switches, each of which does a different thing.. Each one toggles 'something' on/off..

When the drawer is 'closed' there is a number displayed on the front. - You can use this to decode how all the switches are set, without opening the 'drawer'.

Now, I must get outside away from these glue fumes!! o_Oo_Oo_O