cutting brass

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi all,

i'm rebuilding a lady ann and would like to make a footplate for the front of the loco. Ideally I would like to pake the two sides and front out of one sheet so would be a 'U' shape. Any ideas on how I can cut the brass if its pissible to make it like this or shall I do it in three sections? What tools do I need?

Thanks.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I would suggest that the best way to do this would be to make three separate pieces and solder them together. Brass doesn't take tight bends too well, tending to split, or leave a radius. If you have difficulty holding the pieces together for soldering, make a wooden former so they can be clamped to it.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Sorry, forgot the bit about tools. It largely depends on how thick your brass sheet is. but cutting with a saw rather than shears will give a better accuracy, final fitting with a fine file will then be a lot easier. A vice, or some form of clamping, while you work is pretty much essential. Clamp the brass between two pieces of thin ply to keep from marking it unnecessarily.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
If it is one flat piece with a section cut out of the middle then you should be able to do it with a single sheet of brass.

Clamp the brass sheet betweeen two sheets of ply, then cut through both the ply and the brass. (Mark the cutting line on the ply of course!) The ply will support the thin brass so it doesn't distort. Will take a while to do it!

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
thanks for the info guys, should say its a 'u' around the smoke box so when looking at the front of the engine it will form a running board each side andalong the front to there are no bends. Will give it a go then, wish me luck!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Just one word .................NIBBLERS...............A great tool for cutting sheet goods leaves a nice edge.

5d9173e201fb45af8b298f1526ca03ca.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
minimans said:
Just one word .................NIBBLERS...............A great tool for cutting sheet goods leaves a nice edge.

images

:holdon:
Often called a Monodex Cutter over here, but I would caution to carefully check its adjustment before taking the prescribed cut, they can make a mess if incorrectly set.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Mr.Dremmell with a cutting disc. :clap: Alyn