Cute little Railcar

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I am becoming increasingly despondent with the running gear of this project and, after some research , must agree with Greg, that the chassis is nothing like the type it should be. After mistakenly printing the motors, it is obvious that the design is from an electric powered loco and the sides are far to hefty. I am hoping that, even with my limited experience of CAD programs, I can print something more prototypical, with spoked wheels.
i have an electric motor on order and when it arrives will try to design a better set of running gear for the body...............I may be some time!!
Dave
I think that's the right direction Dave. It would be a good basis for a decent railcar if the bottom down were remixed. It's on my list of things to do too. I suspect you'll get it done before I manage to.

I have mine operating of a fashion but need to wait for the printer to become free now before printing out a remixed chassis to get the top fixed to the existing bogie design (it's at the start of another 20h print at the moment :( )

3D printed wheels seem fairly slippery for decent traction. I'd opt for some nice delicate G1 spoked wheels to save time and effort and perhaps get a better result? Mine work okay but need some weight over them which this design doesn't have as printed.
I suppose putting some rubber bands on the rims may also help on printed wheels - a small groove could even be designed in to seat them nicely. I've glued my current design together now so that's not an option at present :)

For what it's worth I've remixed the windscreen as the original one wouldn't print for me, even at high resolutions. I've made the screen available from my TinkerCAD account.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It might be worth looking at Tenmille for wheels.

However, the big issue with scratchbuilding drive trains is the size of the various motor shafts and axles when you're wanting to turn the drive through 90 degrees - which is why I'd suggested one of the Tamiya kit motor/gearbox units.

I used one on my VW Drasine (haven't got a photo on the lappy unfortunately.

However, you can sometimes overcome the issue if you have the right sort of equipment (which I don't have) to enlarge the holes on proprietary gears.

Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Perhaps one of these? Tamiya 70103 Universal Gearbox
Grub screw fixing to 3mm axles, (standard LGB axles) and standard FA 130 motors, alternative replacement FA 130 motors are available with different RPM's and voltages ( have a pair of 12V motors as replacements in the Playmobil RC Diesel)

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps one of these? Tamiya 70103 Universal Gearbox
Grub screw fixing to 3mm axles, (standard LGB axles) and standard FA 130 motors, alternative replacement FA 130 motors are available with different RPM's and voltages ( have a pair of 12V motors as replacements in the Playmobil RC Diesel)
Ah, that looks like a better solution, I was wondering how to support the axels but I guess, if the motor has a good fixing, then there would not be a need for bearings on the drive wheels. Thinking further, two motors like that, one on the front and one on the back would completely solve the bearing issue. I m sure I could print fake springs to make it look right. Will have to have a scratch around in the shed and see what spare wheels I have..............is it getting easier? ..................I doubt it!!.............

maybe order a couple of those to see what I can do with them, the other motor , delivered today is bound to come in useful for something.
Thanks for the suggestions, chaps, much appreciated, it’s good to leave it a couple of days and have thinking time!
Dave

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The ridiculous little railcar is finished and had a maiden run.

It'd definitelt benefit from a more suitable undercarriage :)

Mine is front wheel drive and is a little too light at the front to get much traction..If i get around to revisiting it I would put some traction bands on the driven wheels . In the meantime some rubberising electrical paint has at least helped to get it to move!

20210110_125325.jpg20210110_125307.jpg

Maiden run video