Cute little Railcar

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone had a go at printing this from Thingiverse?
49a4eef01e86665a08bc043571fde22d_preview_featured.jpg
Vintage railcar

Needs a slight rescale as the gauge is 36mm between wheels, but it looks quite fun :)

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ah ! Now I have replied, I see the ref no!
cheers
Dave
I thought i had gone mad for a moment Dave :D

Let me know if you decide to try it. Its on my to-do list. I have rescaled the relevant parts to 162%, which I think is right but if I can get some printer time, I'll try and print something off to check.

It would need a bit of work to motorise - deleting all of the underbody parts between the chassis rails, but not beyond the wit of man I suspect. Edit: In fact, I have found a very short video of someone running one on G scale track, so it's definitely been done :) I have one of those little 6v dual axle flea-drive type gearboxes doing nothing. That should make a good candidate.

I'm thinking to motorise one or both ends and de-flange the centre wheels.

Last edited:

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this on 'Thiniverse' as above but rescaled for 45mm, says that he increased the design by 125% have downloaded all 30!!!!! files. motorised and radio controlled...............may need a small R/C set up for it..................Philip!!!!!!!
Dave

PS anybody know how to delete photos from a post if you have added them by mistake!!!!!????????

79C8B50B-0B3E-4AD4-ACF7-41525AA4488D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this on 'Thiniverse' as above but rescaled for 45mm, says that he increased the design by 125% have downloaded all 30!!!!! files. motorised and radio controlled...............may need a small R/C set up for it..................Philip!!!!!!!
Dave

PS anybody know how to delete photos from a post if you have added them by mistake!!!!!????????

View attachment 278021
Great find. That looks the ticket. Size looks okay too. My 162% must have been way off!

Can you delete the extraneous pics from the attached stuff, shown underneath the main post when you edit it? From memory i think there's the facility to remove there.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Great find. That looks the ticket. Size looks okay too. My 162% must have been way off!

Can you delete the extraneous pics from the attached stuff, shown underneath the main post when you edit it? From memory i think there's the facility to remove there.
Thanks, its a vey tiny box in the top right had corner of the picture that you click on to delete the pic.............I will know next time!
Dave

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Dave

View attachment 278021
Look's to be loads of room for RC and batteries. - Would depend on the motor /chassis though.

PhilP.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The chap who motorised his for G scale that Dave found the files for, has gone the route of this
Screenshot_2020-12-29 Vintage_RailCar REMIX - MOTORIZED G-Scale 45 mm by Robertino.png

Driving the rear axle via a pair of printed gears, with rubber band take off to the other two axles.

Personally speaking, the combination of PLA gears, rubber bands and pulleys put me off as I think it'll introduce a whole lot of noise and friction, so I was going to try one of the little 6V flea-drive jobs, driving only one axle and letting the others freewheel
gearbox.png

It's also worth mentioning that the one I saw in the video was motorised using a Playmobil motor block

Last edited:

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, the 3 axle truck from a large modern locomotive looks way out of place.

2 axles please, spoked wheels even.

Greg
I completely get where you're coming from Greg and for a proper railcar I completely agree. With the right undercarriage I suspect it could be made quite passable.
It *is* an abomination,but for me though, I think that's part of the appeal :D

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The chap who motorised his for G scale that Dave found the files for, has gone the route of this
View attachment 278034

Driving the rear axle via a pair of printed gears, with rubber band take off to the other two axles.

Personally speaking, the combination of PLA gears, rubber bands and pulleys put me off as I think it'll introduce a whole lot of noise and friction, so I was going to try one of the little 6V flea-drive jobs, driving only one axle and letting the others freewheel
View attachment 278035

It's also worth mentioning that the one I saw in the video was motorised using an LGB motor block
The little Tamiya motor / gearboxes are fine for simple vehicles like this.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
This is the Playmobil unit (and beautiful prints) that Marco Gut has made
133205262_10158803065494831_4150983623306472365_o.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, as Greg says, it needs a far simpler drive mechanism with plenty of daylight under the chassis in order to fulfil its potential.

1609273578103.png

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Use a 3-6V motor, and the volume of a matchbox, and I will give you a RC, battery, and sound solution.. :)

PhilP.

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using the Apple Tree railways gearboxes for my trams.. Although most of his products are for Gauge 3 - 63.5mm, the smallest units do fit G45 very nicely.

Nice and easy to hide and quite powerful for the size. I am running the 9V version from 7.4V Li-Ion packs and my trams trundle along at a good pace. It will need outside frames at G45, but I think this could be accommodated with this model!

Motor Axle.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Have you been talking to Eddie at Kippo Models?

PhilP