Custom Transfers

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I was wondering. Is there anywhere I can get transfers that can be made to say my railway name? None of my locos have road names so I thought it would be a nice addition. Can't find anywhere though.
Cheers.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
There are of custom decal makers, but none come to mind at the moment, although I can see the page of one in my mind's eye quite clearly! No doubt others with better memories will reply too.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Blackham Transfers

www.blackhamtransfers.com

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=stockers link=topic=300483.msg339211#msg339211 date=1420911908]
Blackham Transfers www.blackhamtransfers.com[/quote]
Every time I hear that name mentioned it comes with the caveat "don`t give him any money till the job is done and in your hands".

Could try over in the US - Stan Cedarleaf for waterslides or for vinyls G Scale Graphics (not cheap but very good service) Max
Examples of G Scale graphics vinyls -
Summer rail 2013 003.JPGSummer rail 2013 006.JPG

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I second Max`s recommendation for Stan Cedarleaf    http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html

If you do not want white lettering (normal printers do not print white), then there is the other route...make your own with laser or inkjet decal transfer film paper.
Just design the decals on the computer and run them off on a normal inkjet (the decal will need fixing with spray varnish) or laser printer using the decal paper.
The paper comes as white or clear so you could even get `white lettering` by printing a colour background, like black for instance.

I used the `black background` method to make the decals for these locos and stock cars:

loco through point rock 2.jpg

Shay by monolith works 4.jpg

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ha, I don't even have my own printer, wish I was good with a paint brush!

cbeckett

Osier & Woodhurst (UK), Gosnells Extension (OZ)
17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
Re Reply 4#, I do the same and it works well! For building signs, posters etc, I use various coloured backgrounds 0 and sometimes the lettering so it is non white too, then print and use decal paper. I've found that cheap ladies hairspray works as well as any more expensive fixative. And, of course, fill up the decal sheet so as too not waste that costly paper!

Duncan -you need a cheapy printer - HP 3-in-one (ie also a copier and scanner) go for about $40 in Australia! (@£20) complete with a first set of inks

(Irony: when my inks run out, at $50 a pop, I buy a new printer..not environmentally friendly, but economic)

Question for Beavercreek: Sir, where can one acquire that lovely hand crane on the platform? I've seen these in pics on here before, but never found the source.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
chris beckett said:
Re Reply 4#, I do the same and it works well! For building signs, posters etc, I use various coloured backgrounds 0 and sometimes the lettering so it is non white too, then print and use decal paper. I've found that cheap ladies hairspray works as well as any more expensive fixative. And, of course, fill up the decal sheet so as too not waste that costly paper!

Duncan -you need a cheapy printer - HP 3-in-one (ie also a copier and scanner) go for about $40 in Australia! (@£20) complete with a first set of inks

(Irony: when my inks run out, at $50 a pop, I buy a new printer..not environmentally friendly, but economic)

Question for Beavercreek: Sir, where can one acquire that lovely hand crane on the platform? I've seen these in pics on here before, but never found the source.

I my second cheap canon 3 in 1 colour inkjet printer for $35 a couple of years ago and when the ink ran out I went to a ink cartridge recycler and he filled the cartridges for $24 ea which is half the price of buying new.
I have been using refills for years now.

Also when you dismantle a printer there are a selection of plastic gears useful for scratchbuilding plus the scanner light is a 12V fluoro and I used one to light a tunnel on my old HO layout.

Not much gets thrown out at my place just ask the missus :D :D :D

cbeckett

17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
GAP said:
Also when you dismantle a printer there are a selection of plastic gears useful for scratchbuilding plus the scanner light is a 12V fluoro and I used one to light a tunnel on my old HO layout.

Not much gets thrown out at my place just ask the missus :D :D :D

I'm one of the biggest junk/recycling fans ever: BUT I never thought of pulling apart my old printers. D'uh and double d'uh. Thanks for the tip...

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
[quote author=chris beckett link=topic=300483.msg339253#msg339253 date=1420929566]

Question for Beavercreek: Sir, where can one acquire that lovely hand crane on the platform? I`ve seen these in pics on here before, but never found the source.
[/quote]

Mr Beckett sir, The crane is based on the Pola yard crane kit. I did not use the `helmet` roof and titivated it a little.

A few more views to give the flavour:

climax and shay at packing plant.jpg

sshay at quarry monolith works.jpg

activity at monolith packers.jpg

This is a shot of the box:

pola crane.jpg

cbeckett

17 Nov 2013
Gosnells, Perth, WA
Best answers
She's a real beaut. I must have missed that one in the catalogue..good thing my birthday present to myself can be justified reasonably soon....

I did make up something more basic from a brass etching kit - GRS I think - but it doesn't have the impact of your crane.

Thanks again

kstrong

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
12 Jan 2015
Denver, CO
tuscarorarailroad.blogspot.com
Best answers
I use AllOut Graphics in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

http://www.allout-graphics.com/

They do dry transfer (rubdown) lettering. Cheapest to stick to one color, and fit as much on a 9" x 12" sheet or 12" x 18" sheet as you can.

If you or your significant other is into scrapbooking, check out the Cricut Explorer. I just got one for my wife, and if you've got design software on your computer that can output a .svg file, it will cut it out of vinyl sheet. You can use the vinyl as the lettering itself (it's typically thin enough to look good), or use it as a stencil and paint the lettering on by hand/airbrush. I haven't played much with it yet, but I've got a long list of projects that I think it will come in quite handy for.

Later,

K

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Of course, if anyone would like to do some for me, i would be willing to pay the costs and for your time to do it? With the printer idea. It sounds stupid but i really am no good with such things.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I did some for 'lord raglan' some time back.
What sort of decal are you thinking of Duncan..colour, black and white, just lettering, logo design etc etc
Also are they for rolling stock, locos, buildings etc.

Bear in mind that for a good finish, you will need to apply the decals to a gloss surface then seal the transfers to the item with varnish (matt or gloss depending on your preference) so that they are protected from handling.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Duncan
As the facility to add a photo in personal mail has disappeared and I wanted to add one in reply to your pm, here is what I was talking about with using white stripe bounding boxes

shays help,each other.jpg