CS3

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a Maerklin CS3 and would like hear from others about their experiences with this unit. Mainly with regard to controlling DCC fitted Locos and its use outdoors. Thank you in anticipation.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Martin, I think this is one for you.... ;)

Jon.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I am considering purchasing a Maerklin CS3 and would like hear from others about their experiences with this unit. Mainly with regard to controlling DCC fitted Locos and its use outdoors. Thank you in anticipation.
I have not yet upgraded to the CS3 but have used the CS2 extensively for the last few years. My system consists of a CS2 - 60215, 2 x 60101 switched power packs, 60174 booster and 60653 Mobile Station. In addition I use the Maerklin App with either a smartphone or tablet connected to the CS2 with a mini router.

There are 2 versions of the CS3 - the CS3 and 3+. They both operate in a similar fashion to the CS2. I should mention that Maerklin continues to produce firmware updates for the CS2.

I chose the CS2 over a Massoth system mainly because of the mfx chips used in new LGB locos. The mfx chips are instantly recognised by the CS2 and do not require any further for programming the loco's address. In practice you do not need to know the address of any loco because you select from its icon on the screen of the CS2. Of course there are no problems with non mfx chipped locos, you select them in the same way - by icon. Registering a DCC loco in the first place is not difficult either - select DCC when uploading the loco chip's data. It is also straightforward to change the loco address and other CVs. Once uploaded you do not need to know the locos address for normal use.

The main issue with operating the CS2 outside is sunlight on the screen. However I have not found this too difficult to mitigate and also I can use the Mobile Station instead. The whole system is not as robustly built for outside use as say the Massoth, but with due care and attention it is practical.

Do let me know if you require any further information.

Martin

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Now that I have posted my Final Final to the "CS3 Trials and Tribulations" thread I thought this would be a good place for future comments and other musings I have on the CS3.

I'm am using a CS3 bought in late 2016 for my newly started outdoor layout. I chose it for the same reason Martin chose the CS2- LGB aka Märklin switched to mxf decoder chips in their locos. The CS3 is compatible with both the mfx and DCC protocols. For me the choice was between the ESU ECoS system which is also mfx compatible or the CS3. I chose the Märklin system.

My CS3 and a booster stay inside my house and connect to the track via wall mounted speaker binding posts/banana jacks. The two pair of jacks are connected by 4 conductor, 12 AWG speaker wire that was pulled through buried conduit to a junction box outside where they tie into the track leads.

The CS3 is hardwired to my house wifi router with 10baseT network cable. For the past year and a half I've been using the "MobileStation" app on my iphone as a trackside wifi controller. About six months ago I was given an Amazon Fire tablet as a freebee for attending a travel club dog and pony show. I have also been using this as another wifi controller with the "MobileStation" for Android app.

Just yesterday I downloaded the Märklin "MainStation" tablet app to the Fire tablet . I've decided this is a much better interface than the MobileStation app after playing with it for a few hours. It opens up with a split main screen with two loco controllers on the bottom and keyboard page 1 (control "buttons" first 16 controlled devices) on top. This lets me control locos and throw turnouts, etc. without having to swap screens. I think the Fire tablet will become my main controller.

The "MobileStation" app for iOS or Android costs around $7 and the "MainStation" app PC and Android tablet only costs $12.35 in the US. As most people already have a smart phone or tablet these make for cheap wireless controllers.

Another nice feature of the CS3 is that it has a built in VNC server. This is another method that lets devices such as computers, phones, and tablets view and control the CS3 by using free VNC client apps. I have the apps loaded on my laptop, phone and tablet. I often use the VNC connection to monitor the CS3's booster page on one device while using MobileStation app (and now "MainStation") on another device as controller. The CS3 booster pages show output current and voltage to the track and the booster's internal temperature.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the CS3 and its operating interface. The only real problem I've had with mine a faulty internal booster.

Phil S.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The latest CS3 software update (1.3.3) is available. I downloaded it yesterday. One very useful addition beyond bug fixes is a web-browser controller. It is accessed by clicking on the "Control" button in the upper right corner of the opening screen that displays when connected to the CS3 by a web browser. You no longer need to connect with a VNC viewer to control trains with your computer.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 11.53.19 PM.jpg

The control page has two lococontrollers and the basic track plan displayed.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 12.03.46 AM.jpg

A turnout can be changed by clicking on its image in the track plan. A full list of other controlled devices is accessed by clicking on the green devices button on the top middle of the page. Opening the loco list, the red button at the bottom middle of the screen, gives control access to the rest of your registered locos. Double clicking a loco in the list will open what I'm calling a "temporary" controller for the loco. You don't need to drag the loco into the left or right controller to change its settings.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 12.17.58 AM.jpg

The loco's function buttons are accessed by clicking on the "F" at the top of the "temporary" controller. Loco direction is changed by clicking on the direction arrowheads. Speed is changed by click-dragging on the speed bargraph.

All-in-all a nice feature.

Phil S.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A friend of mine has a CS3, personally I would not touch it with a bargepole. Clunky, unfriendly user interface and tricky to set up new Locomotives. Also the Hand Interface via Smart Phone etc while OK indoors can be virtually useless on a sunny day. So for ME it would be a no no, but I do accept that some get on well with them and like them. Horses for courses I guess.

Well you did ask opinions!

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
The latest CS3 software update (1.3.3) is available. I downloaded it yesterday. One very useful addition beyond bug fixes is a web-browser controller. It is accessed by clicking on the "Control" button in the upper right corner of the opening screen that displays when connected to the CS3 by a web browser. You no longer need to connect with a VNC viewer to control trains with your computer.

View attachment 241501

The control page has two lococontrollers and the basic track plan displayed.

View attachment 241502

A turnout can be changed by clicking on its image in the track plan. A full list of other controlled devices is accessed by clicking on the green devices button on the top middle of the page. Opening the loco list, the red button at the bottom middle of the screen, gives control access to the rest of your registered locos. Double clicking a loco in the list will open a what I'm calling a "temporary" controller for the loco. You don't need to drag the loco into the left or right controller to change its settings.

View attachment 241503

The loco's function buttons are accessed by clicking on the "F" at the top of the "temporary" controller. Loco direction is changed by clicking on the direction arrowheads. Speed is changed by click-dragging on the speed bargraph.

All-in-all a nice feature.

Phil S.
Thanks Phil, that is most useful. It will be interesting to see if the CS2 is upgraded to this. At the moment I am happy with the CS2 using the Marklin App on a tablet and smartphone.

Martin

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you to all who have replied I think I will stick to what I have got now and spend my money on the new 20481 green Saxon 0-10-0

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Is it possible to use the CS3 via a laptop rather than an phone app?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely, see my post #5 in this thread. In fact, you can now use any device that has a web browser so long as your CS3 is connected to your network. I'm now using web browsers on my laptop, iphone and Fire tablet for control rather than the dedicated Märklin apps.

Phil S.

Last edited:

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Using a VNC app? Or download? I use a Windows laptop. How does one actually connect to the CS3 once sorted?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Duncan,

You no longer need to download a Märklin app or use a VNC app. The following assumes your CS3 is on the same local network as your laptop. Your CS3 software must be updated to version 1.3.3(1).

1. On your CS3 open the "System" window.
2. Then open the "IP" window.
3. Note the IP address your network router assigned to the CS3. This assumes your network router is set up to dynamically assign (DHCP) network addresses. It will look something like 10.0.1.6 or 192.0.1.12
4. Enter this IP address into the URL window of your favorite laptop browser be it IE, Chrome, Firefox or Safari and hit return to connect.
5. Once connected you will see the window I show in Post 5 of this thread.
6. Hit the "Control" button in the upper right corner of the browser window and your control window will open up in the browser.

Note: depending on how your network security is set up you may need to add the CS3's MAC hardware address (looks like XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX where the Xs are hexadecimal digits) to the list of allowed devices using your network router's utility software. The CS3's MAC address is also shown in the "IP" window on the CS3.

Note 2: If you want to access all the functions available on the CS3 with your laptop such as editing locos, etc. you will still need to use VNC. See Post 58 to my "CS3 Trials and Tribulations" thread on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Phil S.

Last edited:

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely fantastic! Works a treat. I think I will purchase a mouse to use with the laptop as this will be easier than using the touch pad. Thanks for the help, love it.