Crich Tramway Village

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't been to Crich for a while, but should be going there next month for a special TMS/LRTA private open day to celebrate 60 years since the formation of the Tramway Museum Society. Hard to believe they have been going that long, though my first visit there was about 50 years ago - not that I can remember much about it !

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The open tram is certainly unique !

eye-kay

Trams, narrow gauge, and anything else on rails
26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
The open tram is certainly unique !
Yes, one of the famous Blackpool toastracks. I think some other seaside towns had them as well, including 4 wheel examples.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A few pictures from yesterdays TMS 60 event.........

DSCF7331.JPG DSCF7333.JPG DSCF7344.JPG DSCF7345.JPG DSCF7349.JPG DSCF7351.JPG DSCF7352.JPG

Reactions: 7 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting!

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I wish the line was longer, not sure if it would be possible though.

Trabant Dave

Registered
3 Jan 2016
London
Best answers
First went to Crich about 35 years ago and generally pop back every couple of years, always a good day out there, especially on the 'special' days when there's events like the Festival of Model Tramways, and some of the themed days; there was a cold war event a few years back - went up there in my Trabi and there was a good turnout of vehicles from the 'Soviet sphere of influence', and the East Berlin tram was in service.
A lot of folk were dressed the part - Red Army uniforms in evidence etc; I went in civvies however - Stasi style haha.....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I wish the line was longer, not sure if it would be possible though.
One of the original ideas for the TMS was to take over the Easingwold Light Railway just North of York. Sadly for reason that I am not sure of, that proposal came to nothing. Probably BR or whoever owned the Line wanted more than the TMS could afford.
JonD

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
What gauge were those rather narrow gauge tracks passing underneath the over bridge in the second photo of Robert Howard's?

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
What gauge were those rather narrow gauge tracks passing underneath the over bridge in the second photo of Robert Howard's?

If you look at which way each rail curves on the far side of the bridge (click on the photo to make it bigger, if necessary) you will see that the tracks through the bridge are interlaced and they (rails 1 & 3 . . . and rails 2 & 4) are both standard gauge!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
This is true, perhaps the photos below show this more clearly as I somehow always manage to go back to Derbyshire when the sun shines

IAN_0855.JPG

IAN_0857.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

buickroadster

Registered
4 Aug 2018
australia
Best answers
in railway terms(43 years a driver)it's called "gauntlet track". Sydney used to have a bit on it's heavy rail system.-old como bridge and the track into/out of darling harbour goods yard-both now gone. It's used when the track clearance is to small for double track, but switchable points are not needed.

Reactions: 1 user

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
in railway terms(43 years a driver)it's called "gauntlet track". Sydney used to have a bit on it's heavy rail system.-old como bridge and the track into/out of darling harbour goods yard-both now gone. It's used when the track clearance is to small for double track, but switchable points are not needed.
Remember well the delays at Como with the gauntlet track on the old bridge... I don't recall any on the tramway system though there was a bit of single track... Still some in use in Lisbon though.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The system in Elblag, Poland (Elbing in East Prussia to 1945) had a short section of gauntlet track still in use back in 2001.

01-619.JPG

Not sure if it is still there, as I haven't been back there since, but I'm surprised it remained in use so late, given that the Town was seriously damaged in early 1945, with most of the "Old Town" area (the location of this section of track) totally destroyed.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The system in Elblag, Poland (Elbing in East Prussia to 1945) had a short section of gauntlet track still in use back in 2001.

View attachment 242331

Not sure if it is still there, as I haven't been back there since, but I'm surprised it remained in use so late, given that the Town was seriously damaged in early 1945, with most of the "Old Town" area (the location of this section of track) totally destroyed.
There is at least one section of Gauntlet Track on the Croydon System, possibly 2 if memory serves me well. Used to get 2 tracks through tight locations as amply demostrated with the Eblang view.