Covered Wagon

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I was thinking that for my upcoming D&RG style railroad it would be nice to have a settler style covered parked by the log cabin. :) In surfing the net I came across some scale drawing in the USA at a price of around 35USD, bit pricy but ha ho why not. Then I found the shipping charge was 156USD :swear: which is totally insane. So can anyone help with some even outline drawings that I can scale :mm:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was thinking that for my upcoming D&RG style railroad it would be nice to have a settler style covered parked by the log cabin. :) In surfing the net I came across some scale drawing in the USA at a price of around 35USD, bit pricy but ha ho why not. Then I found the shipping charge was 156USD :swear: which is totally insane. So can anyone help with some even outline drawings that I can scale :mm:
Why not look at the Playmobil Range.
image.jpg
That would appear to cover the bill with a repaint. Finding one might be easy or tricky, not researched this. One thing for sure, the size will be spot on and it will survive outside. Not sure but think Casey has one on his line at the Rothley Station on the GCR.

Though his could be Schleich, though I have found this stuff to be a bit on the Large Size, more suitable for 16mm. See below:-
image.jpg
Have to say the Schleic one looks much better detailed. As these things did come in different sizes, this one may provide another basis.

JonD

Last edited:

riderdan

Registered
30 Dec 2013
Kansas
Best answers
I'm not sure how it is on eBay UK, but US eBay often has "western" toy sets that include cowboys, Indians, and a covered wagon. They're quite inexpensive though it's hard to say how they'd stand up to the weather and you'd probably have to ask the size to know the scale.

On another note, Playmobil also has stagecoaches, which might also be neat for a western-themed setting.

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Thanks Arthur scale drawings from Hobby UK ordered :cool:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Why not look at the Playmobil Range.
View attachment 214896
That would appear to cover the bill with a repaint. Finding one might be easy or tricky, not researched this. One thing for sure, the size will be spot on and it will survive outside. Not sure but think Casey has one on his line at the Rothley Station on the GCR.

Though his could be Schleich, though I have found this stuff to be a bit on the Large Size, more suitable for 16mm. See below:-
View attachment 214897
Have to say the Schleic one looks much better detailed. As these things did come in different sizes, this one may provide another basis.

JonD
Jon is right, mine are from the Schleich range. The scale is 1/20 which is very reasonable given the size of various covered wagons/prairie schooners.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Three wagons in this picture. The cover was originally white but the weather has worked its magic. Also the reins have rotted away, I will have to make some new ones. The wagons have been outside in all weathers for at least five years and I suspect for a lot more years than that.image.jpeg The reins on this wagon have rotted away after being out in all weather for at least five years.image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Hi Casey I hunted for those and I think they must be no longer made as I was unable track any. Love your railway I see a noddy car a Plod:clap:

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Hi Casey I hunted for those and I think they must be no longer made as I was unable track any. Love your railway I see a noddy car a Plod:clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You have to be careful, there is another range - can't now remember the name, but I saw a model at Weeting Steam Fair, that when I checked, certain models in their range were made to 1:32 :nod::nod: :shake::shake:

Ah, was it Breyer?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the kind remarks Graham. The covered wagons were withdrawn by Schleich in 2011, however I still see them occasionally at car boot sales and the local cattle market.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the kind remarks Graham. The covered wagons were withdrawn by Schleich in 2011, however I still see them occasionally at car boot sales and the local cattle market.
We'll be placing our orders, then :p:p

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
In hunting on Ebay have found a few examples of the Schleich wagons with a price range with postage from Euro150 to over $250 :eek: so to buy or not to buy :wondering: humm

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Found one on Ebay without horses, driver and cover for 20 quid including postage which is good enough for now ;)

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Found one on Ebay without horses, driver and cover for 20 quid including postage which is good enough for now ;)
Graham, I may have a spare cover and driver, I will search through my spares boxes. Horses are readily available.

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Graham, I may have a spare cover and driver, I will search through my spares boxes. Horses are readily available.
Hi Casey that would be great :cool:

I have been looking at the horses, is the waggon around 1/24th scale?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Casey that would be great :cool:

I have been looking at the horses, is the waggon around 1/24th scale?
Graham the scale is 1/20th. However they fit in very well with general g scale stuff. I use a lot of Schleich items, people, animals, wagons and trucks etc.