Couplings

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim - 6/11/2009 8:36 AM

And for your encore guys, please present your brilliant ideas for uncoupling Accucraft choppers....

Nearest idea I have come up with is a similar arrangement to the credit card on a stick but with a hook shape so you can lift the choppers up and then twist - but I haven't made one yet.

see my post above

same turkey skewer does both

:D

<p>
Chris M - 6/11/2009 10:40 AM I have found that a snail between the tracks acts as a most effective uncoupler - all you have to do is train one to come out at the right time :D
</p><p>I have found that a snail between the tracks has a very unpleasant time when a 4kg steamie goes over it...:eek: </p>

<p>
owlpool - 6/11/2009 11:21 AM
johnsaintjim - 6/11/2009 8:36 AM And for your encore guys, please present your brilliant ideas for uncoupling Accucraft choppers.... Nearest idea I have come up with is a similar arrangement to the credit card on a stick but with a hook shape so you can lift the choppers up and then twist - but I haven't made one yet.
see my post above same turkey skewer does both :D
</p><p>Paul I use a kebab skewer for removing grit from point blades but I doubt if it would uncouple the choppers. I'm not sure what your small skewer looks like - can you show a piccie of one? I may have to invest since I don't think there is one in the kitchen drawer.</p><p>I can imagine my new-found interest in visiting the John Lewis kitchen department will be treated with great suspicion in certain quarters...</p>

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
This is my uncoupling "pole" complete with thingy

owlpool

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim - 6/11/2009 1:34 PM

<p>
johnsaintjim - 6/11/2009 8:36 AM And for your encore guys, please present your brilliant ideas for uncoupling Accucraft choppers.... Nearest idea I have come up with is a similar arrangement to the credit card on a stick but with a hook shape so you can lift the choppers up and then twist - but I haven't made one yet.
</p><p>Paul I use a kebab skewer for removing grit from point blades but I doubt if it would uncouple the choppers. I'm not sure what your small skewer looks like - can you show a piccie of one? I may have to invest since I don't think there is one in the kitchen drawer.</p><p>I can imagine my new-found interest in visiting the John Lewis kitchen department will be treated with great suspicion in certain quarters...</p>

I'll try to get a photo of it this w/e with a scale / tape / ruler next to it
its very narrow - has to be to get between the choppers

I now have an image in my head of you in the kitchen dept of John Lewis asking for a turkey skewer like your friend's got, small enough to go between your choppers

:D :D :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you'll probably be kicked out

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Rookwood Central - 6/11/2009 6:00 AM

LGB used to make (perhaps still do), a uncoupling ramp for their hook and loop couplers, these will also uncouple Bachmann Knuckle Couplers by pushing up the pins, I have two varieties Elrectric Operated and Universal, as long as train is being pulled does not uncouple, on pushing or stopping over the ramp uncoupling is done.

I also use the LGB uncoupling ramps.

Here at Sheringham, I have 2 placed closely together, as can be seen here between the V52 loco and the hopper wagons.

The reason for having 2 close together, is due to all my stock having a hook at both ends. I can uncouple a loco from a train, without me having to use my 'prodder' mentioned earlier, before running round and coupling up at the other end of the train....

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I find it easier to have a hook at one end only of each wagon. Does mean I can't have a reverse loop, but as I don't plan on having one it doesn't matter. Uncoupling so far by means of a piece of half-inch (approx) dowel, with a long panel pin bent into an L-shape fitted at one end. Must try the spade/credit card shape out - sounds an easier option.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Everytime I swipe my card between the hooks it debits my account :(

<p>
owlpool - 6/11/2009 4:33 PM ... I now have an image in my head of you in the kitchen dept of John Lewis asking for a turkey skewer like your friend's got, small enough to go between your choppers :D :D :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you'll probably be kicked out
</p><p>Not if I take me chopper with me I won't Paul:rofl: </p>

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway - 5/11/2009 9:48 PM

Ahh so you stick the plant lable/credit card down between to the two loops bushing the hooks down and twist to push the stock apart. Great!

Yep! Push and twist. I enjoy the freight shunting aspect of modelling so this seemed to be the most cost effective approach. I have a reverse loop (and also some uneven track) so need hooks at both ends of each wagon so uncoupling without it is a fiddle. The plant labels come in packs of ten so always plenty to hand if they go walkabout.

Rik

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
For my Accu-craft chopper couplings I use a highlt technically bent paper clip. The wire is just right to slip between the coupling faces so can lift both hooks at the same time from underneath, while five finger shunting one wagon clear. Improvement would be to fix it to a small stick. :happy:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That will do nicely then:D :D

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I use a plastic plant label chamferred off at one end. Slips between the LGB couplings easily (with one hook or two) and if used sideways on it also uncouples accucraft choppers.

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Most of my stock is kept in fixed rakes/sets. Some rakes have knuckles, others have hook & loops. But I was thinking of adding Kadees to my locos and then fitting more Kadees to either end of each set. Wouldn't be any point in replacing every coupler so I'd just do the ones at each end. Might make shunting a bit easier.

Glen

owlpool

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
johnsaintjim - 6/11/2009 1:34 PM

<p>

remembered to get around to taking a pic of my uncoupling skewer
works for LGB, and Accy choppers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
On the Dunny Reichesbahn and the Ruschbahn too, we use knives. The sort that are preferred are the ones with a nice bone handle that have seen loads of action. The benefit of these is the lack of width in the blade which makes them a snap to fit between the LGB Couplings.

They can be picked up a boot sales etc very cheep, so I have around 10 or so littered around that layout. Having good Sheffield Stainless Steel they do not rust either.
JonD