Coupling Pairs

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to try close coupling my Accucraft IOM "Pairs". Well here you see the results of the experiment with a simple pin and buffer mod to the coupling arm.
I didn't want to alter anything permanently, so I removed the chopper and bent a piece of steel to form the buffer face. This was drilled to match the original holes in the arm and a small hardwood block was cut to fit behind. This was drilled and then the whole bolted together with countersunk 8 BA screws. It could just as well be epoxied. A bent panel pin was cut to size and fitted in a pre-drilled hole and with some fine chain for close coupling. The wooden block fouled the dummy brake gear on the brake end, so this was easily removed. I also removed the lower set of steps to clear my platform - I just unbolted the two and replaced the top one.
You can see the results in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkrdT0mHws
and on my website news page.
Here are three photos to give you the idea. All are now tidied up and painted matt black. I will sort out the choppers on the 4 wheelers next as I do like the close coupled look. Oh yes, and 4ft radius is about the minimum for this mod. On that they pull and propel very smoothly.
Cheers
Chris
0fbd79e0e2ad4c6591d80b17f721a65f.jpg
99c3a17c364a4ac5a67a46a486c4b1b2.jpg
f8647ded85924840b32fd521371c33ae.jpg

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
oh, well......

...if thats hold together, even with pushing train......

looks well!

Frank