Converting a Bachmann Lyn to battery/radio control/sound

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
1,011
101
South Australia
Country flag
For the past nine years, I have been using a Bachmann Lyn to test upgrades to our MyLocoSound steam soundcards. In that time it has had two batteries, five different radio controls and endless soundcard changes. Recently, it finally gave up the ghost and started to fall apart. It has therefore been retired and has been replaced by a new Bachmann Lyn purchased from a friend who never got round to taking it out of the box. The following describes how I converted it to battery radio control.

After separating the body from the chassis, I removed the Bachmann electronics PCB. Next, I cut away the three pairs of red and black wires which picked up track power from the wheels; one pair at each end from the bogies and one pair in the middle. That just left two pairs of wires connecting the chassis to the body; the yellow and grey ones for the motor and the thin wires for the chuff trigger.

Bathroom silicon was then used to fix the radio control and speed control to the body inside the boiler. In this instance I used a Fosworks radio control because that was what ended up in the original Lyn and I just transferred it.

Normally I would put the soundcard out of sight inside the boiler as well. However I wanted to be able to download upgrades for testing without having to take the loco apart. Therefore the soundcard ended up on the cab floor where it is hard to spot. If I want to download an upgrade, I just open the cab door and plug in the cable.

I also replaced the Bachmann speaker in the coal bunker. The original was not the best for a steam chuff so I replaced it with a MyLocoSound two watt speaker behind the fireman.

Next, the batteries. I used two flat packs of six AAA rechargeable batteries; one in each side tank. Maximising the weight of the loco is important when, like the Lyn, it has only two driving axles. Therefore I replaced as many of the weights as I could, held them in place with Bluetack and replaced the side tanks.

It was then all connected up using the wiring diagram in the ‘How to Install” section at www.mylocosound.com .

Finally, I replaced the Bachmann switches with a simple on/off switch and battery charging socket behind the smokebox door.

Then it was off for a successful test run. However I do need to add more lead. It is a relatively light locomotive with only two driving axles and will barely pull two bogie coaches up a 1 in 50 curved incline.

Photos attached.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5063.jpg
    IMG_5063.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Smokebox Door.jpg
    Smokebox Door.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
10,136
1,121
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Country flag
Great description, Peter. The new motor block is much better than the old double worm one and the inclusion of a chuff cam is an added bonus. Thanks to the generosity of fellow forumites, I now have the makings of two Lyn motor blocks sitting on the shelf, an old and a new. I'll modify the old one to take a motor with smaller worms which greatly improves performance.

Just got to try and find a couple of interesting outside framed, fly cranked three foot gauge locos to put them inside.

Rik
 

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
7,494
1,163
58
Royston
Country flag
Very interesting, when I finally manage to get round to fixing mine, I'll try and find this again
 

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
20,562
4,038
73
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Very interesting, when I finally manage to get round to fixing mine, I'll try and find this again
Put it on as one of your watched items and it should be easier to find again unless like me you have 8 pages of watched!