Controlling point motors with a battery box etc?

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been thinking about getting an LGB 12260 Double Slip Switch or 12360 Y Point but didn’t want to go to the expense of getting a dedicated switch box and power supply for the point motors. Is there any other way to control the point motors using a battery box and toggle switch of perhaps an analog speed controller?

Thanks.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've used two PP3 batteries wire to give 18v and connected to an LGB 51750 momentary switch box to operate points, so the answer is "Yes", but you need the right type of switch.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere in sales a long time back I still have an LGB Switch Box available with 3 out of the 4 switches working..

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I might just replace the point motors with manual switches :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I might just replace the point motors with manual switches :)
Looking at what they are you will likely have EPL point motors on them, these are more reliable than the LGB Manual switches that after time go indecisive in operation due to the springs weakening. I would keep the EPL’s on and just use them, this is what I have done with the LGB points on my loft line.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
If you get the double-slip switch and keep the EPL motors but operate them manually, make sure you use the tie bars on the motors to change points and don’t just move the rails. I had some issues with derailing on mine when i used them manually as the movement of the blades doesn’t always “pull” the EPL over motor fully and the blades had a tendency to move back slightly. Once I’d wired them up to a decoder all has been well.