Contact or Schedule control ? which way to go for automatic control.

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
I am currently putting in the track bed for the Lighthouse, Gorsebank and Bride railway her on the Isle of Man. Although I intend to run the railway manually for the majority of time, I have an interest in computer control and have connected my lap-top complete with LGB software in order to do this.

Having sorted out the track plan and set up switch routes etc. I have found the schedule software difficult to understand, even though I have spent quit a lot of my youth programming early computers in basic and even machine code.

Does anyone out there have knowledge of using either the LGB schedule software or using contact control, which is best ? Any help, such as a simple sample schedule or example of contact control would be great.

Ian

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Ian I can't help much with the LGB software, I don't use it. I did look at it once and found it very hard to understand and I program computers for my living!

I don't believe LGB/Marklin support the software anymore but I think the third party developer who supplied it to LGB was at one time providing support and updates. I'm at work at the moment so I can't check for you, I'll check when I get home.

If you are serious about computer control then I'd look round for some better software, JMRI do some free stuff and there are a number of other alternatives.

If I can help let me know.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
This is the software I was thinking about:

http://www.stellwerk-software.de/index_e.html

It is very similar to the MTS software. The same guy developed the original MTS software for LGB.

As I said before I think there are better options.

Try typing something like 'model railway control software' into any browser,

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Its probably worth having a dabble with the JMRI software mentioned above - mainly 'cos its free. I didn't really buy in to a lot of what it does, but just kicked around the script examples until I got what I wanted. The software expects a command station to be visible when it starts in ops mode, but there is a loconet simulator which effectively allows you to start in 'off line' mode - handy if you are a code bodger.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If Ian is using the LGB software then we must assume that he is using an LGB MTS system and a LGB55060 computer interface.

I do not think JMRI supports MTS.

The only other software that I am aware of that can use the 55060 is Stelwerk.

With regard to Schedules, once you get the hang of it they are not too bad :happy:

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your replies Cliff and David I downloaded a demo version and the manual for the Stellwerks software and if anything found it just as difficult if not more so to understand.

I have also had a look at using bit-switches to provide some auto control of the main running loop and possibly timed station stops, I have ordered a couple of components in order to experiment and will come to some sort of decission over the next few months as to which way to go.

In the mean time if David you fancey having a go at a small schedule to say run three locos around a loop and avoid collisions i.e. block control, it would help me a lot in understanding schedules.
If this is too much work then it is not a problem, we are all busey people.

Regards

Ian

Thanks again

Ian

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry thanks Mark as well I almost missed you.

Regards Ian

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
Hi Ian

Bride?? Only 2 miles from me......;)

Sorry, don't do electriricity outdoors though, only steam! manx weather, track cleaning....etc!

Neil

Gorsebank

Registered
30 Nov 2009
Isle Of Man
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil.

Once the railway is installed you will have to bring something round and have a run. The large loop will be minimum R5 LGB curves and level so live steam should run well.

Regards

Ian