connectors

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
this is probably old hat, if so sorry, but advice sought re connectors for my wiring, analogue. I have used the standard plastic, or nylon or whatever, terminal cable connectors for joining wires. Now it has become apparent that these do not winter well. Maybe it was because of a very low temp this year, but the things are falling apart, they have changed their molecularibility if you see what I mean. Should I be using something else?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Do you mean these things.
7d5a3c06460243ba816e8ff667bd5d39.jpg

I use them all the time with no problems. Mind you, Kent may be a bit warmer than your neck of the woods.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Do you mean these things.
images

I use them all the time with no problems. Mind you, Kent may be a bit warmer than your neck of the woods.

I've used some of these... Those with steel screws & parts rust and seize, while brass seem OK.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Like Stockers says, I've used those "chocolate block" connectors and they've withstood 3 fairly harsh Winters, although they are screwed to wooden supports so that they're off the ground. Nowadays all of my other connections are soldered and sealed with heat shrink from Maplins.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Glengrant said:
this is probably old hat, if so sorry, but advice sought re connectors for my wiring, analogue. I have used the standard plastic, or nylon or whatever, terminal cable connectors for joining wires. Now it has become apparent that these do not winter well. Maybe it was because of a very low temp this year, but the things are falling apart, they have changed their molecularibility if you see what I mean. Should I be using something else?

Terminal blocks (aka "chocolate blocks" have worked fine for me so long as all water is rigorously excluded. Otherwise rust and/or electrolytic action have rapidly killed the join. I exclude water by slathering silicone sealant into every crevice. If you want to take a more robust approach, I recommend standard UK 5 amp junction boxes. Bulky, but indestructible (so far!).

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I would advise that the fewer connections you have, the better, as these are always the first point of failure.

Keep your wiring as simple as possible.

Better to use continuous lengths of cables with out joints....

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/Britannia Joint.jpg < Link To http://www.probertencyclo.../Britannia%20Joint.jpg

the old brittania joint is about the best, use tinned fuse wire to wrap the wires and solder
The block connectors are not Ultra Violet Proof so will go brittle outdoors in sunlight, plus the screws are steel into brass a bad idea outside unless weather proofed,, or use marine type brass with brass screws and some petroleum jelly

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Gizzy said:
I would advise that the fewer connections you have, the better, as these are always the first point of failure.

cheez, now he tells me!!!!!!
1e9281e3ecbd4244b080115f836be20d.jpg

aeef33902ed4493a9665115aaf749de7.jpg

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Thanks Ross, am looking at that carefully

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Glengrant said:
Gizzy said:

images

images
Sheesh!
I would rip that all out and start again mate!

Even for me, as an Electronics Engineer, that is far too complex. Your average ATC tech would have a fit!

Remember KISS?
Keep it simple, stupid....

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks nothing for a telecoms engineer:rofl:

(not that I am one.)

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and why do most models crash Ross?:rofl:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Glengrant said:
Gizzy said:

images

images
Good grief Cyril, are you trying to run trains or launch the space shuttle!!!!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Glengrant said:
Gizzy said:

images

images
Spaghettifor dinner????

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Errr, I should have added that the sphaggetti mess is temporary, it will be sorted out eventually, it's only been like that for three years.

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
hi cyril, the cheapest way like mel said is solder&shrink wrap. costs next to nowt,
and is neat and tidy.
failing that i know a good recipe for spaghetti!!!!!.:rofl::rofl::rofl::D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Glengrant said:
Errr, I should have added that the sphaggetti mess is temporary, it will be sorted out eventually, it's only been like that for three years.
Well (and with all due respect), it looks like a reet load of old bolognese to me sir!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: